16" K Con Crash as hi hat top?

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thinking about trying this on my set of 16" K Lights (top or bottom). Seems these crashes are in 950g range. Thoughts?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been running a 16 K Con top over a variety of 16 bottoms for a few years. It's a fantastic top hat cymbal. I have one of the older (not the new redesign) ones and it's buttery.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would be mixing with this set up:
22" Bounce
22" Overhammered
22" Medium Thin Low

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No idea how it would blend with a K Light hat, as I don't own a set. I can say that it's quite nice with the cymbals I do have.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
K Dark
Bos Masters
Byzance
sometimes an A Custom
There are a few others, but you get the idea.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love mine. Two K con 16" for hats...but I also loved the one as a crash. So, I recently bought a 16" K con suspended to throw into that mix. I'll get to use the hats and get a crash.
The only way to know is to try it. Weights don't matter. You might even find a nice Camber to put underneath. You just never know.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just need to find one cheap and used. $300 for a 16" cymbal is a no no for me.
If only New Beats came in that size, have a feeling that bottom would add some volume.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like them too, but I also like cymbals too much. Plus my OCD would benefit with all Cons from the top.

Ang

Reaction score
I have an older K medium thin crash, I’ve used it under a 16” K efx as hats. It’s nice for that Eric Harland type sound.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just need to find one cheap and used. $300 for a 16" cymbal is a no no for me.
If only New Beats came in that size, have a feeling that bottom would add some volume.
You could always get an A medium or rock crash or something similar to use as a bottom. Light top/heavy bottom is great for large hihats.

Reaction score
I see no reason it wouldn't sound great. They'd be low overall. I once used a 16" K Con top over a 16" K Custom Special Dry for a bit more articulation. The bottom cymbal mainly provides support for the top, but it's shape and weight do affect the way the top hat performs to some degree.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, you gotta try it and if it sounds good, then who cares! After 10+ years of only one set of hats (13" orig. K/Z's), I wanted to go bigger and worked my way up to even two 17" thin K crashes as hats. I even did 18" thin K's but the size was ridiculous. I did two 14" thin Agop crashes, too, but they were too light and not enough foot chick. I am back to 15's for now (Keropes) as my main house kit. My gigging set is a pair of 14" Zildjians - a 60's A on top with a very nice chocolate patina, and the bottom is an 80's/90's quick beat top. Funky combo but cuts through, feels light to play and works well.

For years I struggled with hi hats. It's pretty hard to find just ONE good cymbal let alone two! If you can make two work, and they sound good, then you're done.