16in Ride Cymbals?

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At one point I owned a trifecta of Paiste 2002 18" rides, flat, ride, and heavy ride. They all actually sounded great and I'm sure under the right circumstances,would be great live cymbals, but they didn't fit what I was playing at the time so I off loaded them.

I did keep a 16" 2002 ride that is a fun cymbal. It is a very nice, pingy ride with a usable crash to it and works well for lighter volume gigs. I have had good luck pairing it with 18" or smaller bass drum sets and they seem to go together well. My preferred ride size is 21" regardless of brand or series, but the "out of the ordinary " cymbals always seem to intrigue me.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW....I have a Sabian VFX 14" Flat Ride... I used it with a the kit but for years I've used it as w/plastic rod-sticks on a folk gig.... you can hear it here

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Been looking at 16" cymbals lately wanting one for a one cymbal set up. Reason for a 16" is that it would fit in my snare bag I have. (Protection Racket Backpack with section for bass drum pedal) The bag has a divider behind where the snare goes that's great for hi hats and doesn't quite fit my one 17" cymbal I have. There's times that I have these little cafe gigs where I could take the backpack with snare, pedal, hats and "ride" then in one hand my hardware bag and the other hand the 12x18 bass drum (in bag)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
16" rides works; I've 3 old Ks and at least one old A ; that all (can be made to work at first you think too high pitched) work.
Won't set the world on fire but "everybody" loves a 16..
the trick or a 'trick' is getting ones that doesn't open up instantly into a crash
(that would for sure be the old ks and the A Medium 16" Ride)

healthie1

Reaction score
The guy who runs the local drum shop told me he went to one of those Sabian events where they'd make you a cymbal on site - he got a 15" ride with a huge bell. I haven't seen it yet.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Guys...please...with all due respect...get ahold of yourselves. 14 and 16 inch cymbals make bad ride cymbals, no matter what Joe says. ;-) You know it...I know it.
Even the Neanderthals with their bone sticks knew that anything smaller than an 18 inch ride wasn't loud enough to attract small brained large Ice Age game or entice homospian females into their caves for cross breeding. Science doesn't lie. Thank you. :-o

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acoustic bass players may disargue :D
I just used one with Virgil Walters. He's a monster legendary local acoustic bass player. I had at least 4 people come up to me after the set and said nothing.

: )

Last edited:

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Only 16” ride I ever saw was a Paiste 505 labeled a ride. I almost got it as a bottom to a hi hat pair but never pulled the trigger.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys...please...with all due respect...get ahold of yourselves. 14 and 16 inch cymbals make bad ride cymbals, no matter what Joe says. ;-) You know it...I know it.
Even the Neanderthals with their bone sticks knew that anything smaller than an 18 inch ride wasn't loud enough to attract small brained large Ice Age game or entice homospian females into their caves for cross breeding. Science doesn't lie. Thank you. :-o
Gotta disagree with this. Joey Baron and Bobby Previte both toured with 16” rides. Eric Binder has been demonstrating them on Instagram a lot lately. I have a 14” tans a 16” that work. It’s all about context.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been using an 18" Paiste 602 flat ride - love it. Been curious about the 16" flat, either 602 or 2002. But they have become hard to come by.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turkish makes a quirky little 16" sizzle ride called the "travel flat" ride. Womder if it might work with one of those tiny kits for a coffee shop gig.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my first Zildjian in 1971 and it was a 16” A Zildjian Medium ride with 6 rivets . It was a really nice light ride and excellent crash .

Paiste had the 16” ride size available in a number of their lines for quite awhile . They pop up on EBay ocassionally .