16th notes on the hat (single handed)

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Playing 16th notes with speed and endurance on the hats with just my right hand is something I've struggled with. I get by most of the time using the two-handed technique, but there is a difference and sometimes it matters to the feel of the song (like a James Gadson groove).
So please share some tips or videos of techniques for building up speed.
Here are a couple that I've found:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never found the problems I hear about (often.

If on a pad you can play 16ths with one hand- that's the speed..
here's kinda the staple song for it:

8th notes in 1/2 time give impression of 16ths

Last edited:

gbow

Reaction score
Best way to improve is just to work at it. I have struggled with it as well. Every time you sit down at the kit, warm up with some sort of 16th hihat groove. Sometimes a shuffle, other times something else, but always 16ths on the hats.

Start slow and increase speed as you get warmed up. Be consistent with doing it, put up a click and increase the speed over time. Don't worry if you keep the same tempo for months or more. But lock on and play it for 5-10 min at a time.

There is no substitute for putting in the time. There are techniques that you can work on, but there are no shortcuts. Turn off the computer, youtube, put down the books and charts, and just get behind the kit and play every day. If you can't get behind a kit, pull out the pad. It's not the same, but it's better than nothing.

gabo

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Practice like a mofo. JDG above, lock yourself in that room. Everyday.

Sometimes a lighter stick with a little flex in the shaft can help w the speed.

Ash is pretty slick and has a nice touch.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I meant this one

actually what is heard, (and sometimes confused)( is it's) RH 8th notes... in halftime
snare, ( on ) 3...
dang that was killer song; listen again

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Big League

it's an 'old funk beat
get your repetition hands together on the practice pad. Practice rudiments and Stick Control over and over
an hour a day
develop the muscles (control; so you can then , relax

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I can't really offer any new advice on how to build up the single hand 16th notes but I can offer up how I handled the fast 16th note situation we all have/will run into at some point as band mates are throwing out song ideas.

We were playing "Midnight Rider". Love the song, but I just couldn't keep the tempo up where it needed to be.

I was just straight up with the guys and said "hey, I love this song but I just can't play it at this tempo. It is going to take me a little time to build it up if I can even get there. We are going to have to start at a slower tempo if you guys want to do the song. Here, let me show you what I can keep steady right now."

I started the song by myself at a tempo I could do comfortably and I didn't feel the pressure of trying to go fast and I actually ended up being able to go at a little faster tempo than I thought I could do. The band guys were cool with it and a few practices down the road I was able to get the tempo we wanted. I think just having the pressure off allowed me to relax and I found for me I am much faster at the 16th notes when relaxed. I'm much more efficient. Tensing up and raising the sticks higher to try to get a faster swing at the high hats are just counter productive. I'm not saying others have the same issue as me but relaxing and being honest of my capabilities at the time made all of the difference for me. I really need to keep a song with faster single handed 16th high hat notes in the rotation to keep me practiced up and honest!

Last edited:

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haven't watched all the videos, but I'd add the Porcaro one to the list.
Unless you have to play loud for some reasosn, keep it light, relax your grip (the tendons of the fingers go through the wrist and slow things down when they're tight).More back fingers grip than index finger or middle finger, which more or less just guide the stick. Moeller up /down, can be tip/shaft but doesn't need to.

5mins in, then 7:40min, 8:20min:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can't really offer any new advice on how to build up the single hand 16th notes but I can offer up how I handled the fast 16th note situation we all have/will run into at some point as band mates are throwing out song ideas.

We were playing "Midnight Rider". Love the song, but I just couldn't keep the tempo up where it needed to be.

I was just straight up with the guys and said "hey, I love this song but I just can't play it at this tempo. It is going to take me a little time to build it up if I can even get there. We are going to have to start at a slower tempo if you guys want to do the song. Here, let me show you what I can keep steady right now."

I started the song by myself at a tempo I could do comfortably and I didn't feel the pressure of trying to go fast and I actually ended up being able to go at a little faster tempo than I thought I could do. The band guys were cool with it and a few practices down the road I was able to get the tempo we wanted. I think just having the pressure off allowed me to relax and I found for me I am much faster at the 16th notes when relaxed. I'm much more efficient. Tensing up and raising the sticks higher to try to get a faster swing at the high hats are just counter productive. I'm not saying others have the same issue as me but relaxing and being honest of my capabilities at the time made all of the difference for me. I really need to keep a song with faster single handed 16th high hat notes in the rotation to keep me practiced up and honest!
One of my go-to tunes for practicing 16ths and working on endurance.

Interesting that there are several versions of this live where the 16ths are NOT played the way they are on the studio version....

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two excercises:
1) Do sprints. Set a metronome just above the top speed which you can maintain the single handed comfortably for 3-5min. Lets say you can maintain 16ths at 72bpm. Set the metronome for 80bpm. Play one, two or four measures of 16ths at this tempo. The length should be just at your breaking point. When it just about falls apart, stop. Do it again. Keep doing this until you can maintain it for the prescribed amount of time. Then try to go longer. Keep pushing the length. Then notch up the tempo and do this again. It could take weeks or months but you'll get there.

2) Using the stick control book. Play p.5 (the first page with notes). Play each line followed by fours bars of sixteenth note singles. Do this at the top speed that you can maintain even consistent singles. Use a metronome. Take a slight pause between each line. Do the entire page. When you can maintain the whole page notch up the tempo. Again, could take weeks or months.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use a technique that uses wrist and fingers with a little arm for fast 16th and 8th on hats. I play palm down but if you play french grip (thumb up) I think you can adapt to this too. With a stroke from your elbow hit the hats with neck of the stick then in the back swing of it bring your wrist up and your hand down to hit the hat again. It should almost be a rocking motion. As it gets faster the movement gets more concise and the elbow is replaced by the wrist and the wrist is replaced by your fingers but it is essentially hitting with both the down and up stroke of the stick. Hope that makes sense. Then practice to "Keep Forgetting" haha. I'll add pics when I get back to my kit if you think you need a visual.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Midnight Rider is one that I play two-handed and it sounds fine to me. I tend to notice the difference on funkier tunes for some reason...or funkier versions of certain songs...

Thanks for the input, everyone.:thumbup:

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes Mongrel! Every time we play it(and probably again tonight)I want to try it two handed...just have to remember to lead w/my left on hat!(I’m right handed) Tonight could be the night. : )