16th notes on the hat (single handed)

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
We’ve been playing this one and at times it can kill me! I play 16ths straight right handed.

I was just listening to that one! That's one of my guilty pleasure songs; it's kind of cheesy but it's really fun.

I guess I discovered the Moeller Method by accident, so I could more easily play 16th notes. That Billy Swan song is a bit fast for me to play one-handed, but most other songs are pretty easy. I've been working on the Tears for Fears song Everybody Wants to Rule the World; that one's easy to mess up the tempo and groove.

Moeller Method.jpg

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another fun one....come on, admit it, you LOVE this tune...

Edit: ok, maybe not straight 16ths....for the whole tune.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a technique that uses wrist and fingers with a little arm for fast 16th and 8th on hats. I play palm down but if you play french grip (thumb up) I think you can adapt to this too. With a stroke from your elbow hit the hats with neck of the stick then in the back swing of it bring your wrist up and your hand down to hit the hat again. It should almost be a rocking motion. As it gets faster the movement gets more concise and the elbow is replaced by the wrist and the wrist is replaced by your fingers but it is essentially hitting with both the down and up stroke of the stick. Hope that makes sense. Then practice to "Keep Forgetting" haha. I'll add pics when I get back to my kit if you think you need a visual.
...or somewhat side to side like Ringo.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
It's mostly just a muscle thing remedied by practice that gets the wrist muscles up to snuff. Practice any way you like, but I'd recommend 5 minutes of a fast single-stroke role on a cushion or something else without much rebound. That's a muscle workout, and I see no reason to work only your right hand. You might as well work your left hand while you're at it.

However, just mulling from experience, there does seem to be a feel and/or confidence aspect to it too. My wrist muscles are now so weak that I'd be afraid to try to play 16th notes on the hat--though sometimes play 'em anyway. Go figure, I end up playing something I didn't know I could play. Maybe, I don't know, relaxing and using the bounce makes it possible to play faster than I could if I set out consciously to do it.

Also, remember the importance of cheating. What makes fast playing difficult is rarely the speed but almost always how long you have to keep up a fast speed. Surely all of us can play fast in bursts; it's keep the speed going over many measures that's our downfall. The solution is to break up a fast ride pattern by inserting slower parts, such as a little 8th note accent fill every other measure or even a hi-hat slurp. Amazingly, a one beat break from the 16th notes every 8 beats or so makes playing them the other 7 beats much easier, while you still get the feel of the 16th notes throughout.

Basil

Reaction score
Vinnie's 3 over 4 pattern and playing over the bar line on seven days is a good exercise in that it makes you comfortable playing each note of the 16th once you get used to the pattern. Great way to develop muscle memory and fluidity. Start slow

Another tasty application of the 16th:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Vinnie's 3 over 4 pattern and playing over the bar line on seven days is a good exercise in that it makes you comfortable playing each note of the 16th once you get used to the pattern. Great way to develop muscle memory and fluidity. Start slow

Another tasty application of the 16th:

I usually use Gadson,Porcaro, and Ferrone for my references, but the two you mentioned are great. Good call

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Remember when you used to play the hihat- as a direct hit with the shoulder of the stick".. Does anyone do that anymore?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Something obvious may have been overlooked: Use the tip of the stick not the shank.
more of the tip less of the shank.
might be what's holding ye up.

approach look at / the hi hat/ like a ride cymbal

Last edited:

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Working on my 1/16ths. I have been working on shuffles so hard lately, my straight time wants to shuffle. Especially my foot! Gotta have a talk with that foot