17-Year-Old Drummer Toured with Cameo! Rolling Stone Skips Ahead to Dull Clapton, Midler, Steely Dan Gigs

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine anything more exciting than touring with Cameo while in high school, but that's not the focus of Rolling Stone's very, very long interview with "Unknown Legends" drummer Sonny Emory. The interviewer spends too much time boring us with endless questions about the easy listening gigs he did with Eric Clapton, Steely Dan, that Beaches star Bette Midler. More questions about Earth Wind & Fire would also have been cool.

Seventeen is a crazy age... I know I learned a heck of a lot on an almost daily basis. But, when it comes to Sonny Emory, I guess we'll never know what it was like to tour worldwide with Cameo until Emory sits down with a better interviewer.

He does reveal some secrets about how it's kind of a pain in the neck to be the guest drummer on "Late Night with Seth Meyers."

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe, Michael Shrieve, was 20 when he performed with Santana at Woodstock, then stayed on for something like 9 albums...Danny Seraphine, was 17yo when he helped form The Big Thing with several co-founders to morph into CTA/Chicago...
Buddy Rich himself started at 2yo, hit the big bands before he turned 20 playing with Tommy Dorsey....
I myself started at 16, 72 today. I think its great for anyone to start out early. Probably more drummers than known

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw Sonny two years in a row.First playing with David Sanborn then the following year with Bette Midler...talk about 2 different worlds to work in...