JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
GET A SECOND OPINION

seriously take it - not to be sexist - to a woman and see if she can recognize anything. Could be a wood species
Trust me, this smell is much more than funny
LYSOL SPRITZ they/we used to spray right? the upstairs hanging closets right? or something. PINE-SOL spray
One guy say mothballs already?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
And you can't no way get a read on the smell? I'd let some others take a sniff.. like I mentioned; sometimes a non-drummer will have a nother perspective..

that's beautiful inside there.
So, you walk up and instead of "Pull my finger" you can say " Smell my Drum".
Maybe it's heads.

Reactions: egw

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem with a Sakae Trilogy 16” floor tom shell I recently got.
When changing heads I found out that the drum smells awful on the inside. It goes away totally when I let it stand open for some time but comes back quickly when heads are laid on top. This is not a smell of wood or glue, it’s something else. I have cleaned it and examined and can’t find anything wrong. None of the other shells of the kit has any sign of this and have no smell at all. This is a 3 ply shell with re rings, wrap and some kind of silver paint on the inside.

Any solutions?

Thanks
It could be the glue they used on the rings. Most companies doing wraps nowadays use 3M Geen Glue & that doesn't smell. At least whenever I've used it it hasn't. Try putting 2-Sided open boxes of Baking Soda in the tom and leave it in a dry area for a week or so. See if that helps. Only other thing would be Ozone Machine, but Ozone brings you a new smell and I think the machines are quite costly.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does it smell when you have the heads on? If not why worry about it?

It is most likely the paint off gassing or the glue off gassing.