JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's either going to be the heads, glue, the silver sealer, either something bad happened under the silver sealer, or something bad happened on top of the silver sealer. If the drum is in good condition and has not been sitting corner of a nasty bar for many years, this just makes no sense. What did an independent nose tell you?

I disassemble the entire thing and break it down try to isolate the culprit.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd burn some incense inside the drum, safely of course. Also you can just set a pack of incense inside the drum for a period of time and it should help.
I've kept a stave snare shell in a hard case with a pack of incense all winter and this drum smells heavenly.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you recognize mold smell? If the wood at some time ever got wet it'll have mold in it. But if it's mold it would probably smell with the heads on it.

sherm

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I have to say that I noticed a pretty strong odor from my 14x14 Slingerland Stage Band floor tom circa 1975 when I changed the heads. Definitely a chemically type of smell. I always just chalked it up to it coming from whatever amount of coating they may have put on the inside of the shell, although I couldn't really detect much of a coating visually or it could be from the glue between the different layers that make up the shell. I have to say that I kind of liked the smell, in a strange sort of way. As a teen I found myself sticking my head in the drum and taking deep sniffs. It's a wonder how I never gravitated to stronger inhalents. Or did i? I can't remember.........

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
GET A SECOND OPINION

seriously take it - not to be sexist - to a woman and see if she can recognize anything. Could be a wood species

LYSOL SPRITZ they/we used to spray right? the upstairs hanging closets right? or something. PINE-SOL spray
One guy say mothballs already?
Ah yes, women are excellent at identifying wood species by smell

Skeet6

Reaction score
Keep the bottom head off like it was 1977 for a month or so. ;)
Mike B