18’’ Bass drum conversion, what should I know?

nchia

Reaction score
I had great success converting a 16" C&C Player Date FT to a bass drum.

There were a few limitations, specifically that I didn't want to re-drill holes for the Gibraltar gull wing leg brackets. So using the existing clamps I chose to take a hacksaw to the legs and shorten them (they now operate much like L rods as described above).
You won't have this issue if you're using the clip-on style brackets that attach to the hoop. You should be able to position them well enough that you get enough rise from the legs and bass drum pedal.

Using the Dunnett conversion unit (which is really ingenious), I was able to mount a tom at a decent height, allowing me to forgo any sort of riser. I ended up finding a longer Tama L rod, giving me extra height on the RT. This would require drilling a top bracket.

The hoops are from Stellar Drums/Hoops, and I thought they were reasonably priced and excellent people to work with. Something to consider if you go all in...

There is a little bit of splay in the tension rods, but not enough to cause me any issues so far. Good luck!

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jordan, I got an EMAD head in a trade and hated it (I think on a 22" bass). Don't sell regular "tom" heads short.....a coated Emperor will work wonders as will a coated PS3.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just messaged Aquarian and they said there's a tom version of the SKI - Aquarian SKI16T. I can't find it at any dealer online. strange. maybe it's new?

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score
I just found out that Rogers large tom lugs and bass drum lugs are the same. Full speed ahead!