18” Floor tom to bass drum conversion

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m thinking about converting a Pearl Wood Fiberglass tom to a bass drum (18x16) and installing wood hoops and a tom mount. I’m not going to use a riser. Does anyone have any suggestions or things to watch out for in the project? I’ve heard about the Pearl lugs being smaller on toms and larger on bass drums. Also has anyone ever plugged the extra holes with air vents? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve done it before with 16” and 18” toms with no issues. I just bought hoops, class and tension rods and it just worked out lol. Maybe I got lucky but it worked for me with great results.

Reactions: CSR

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You likely can find some spurs or bent tom legs to fit the leg mounts so you don't have to drill holes and refit different spurs. They can be set up to raise the front of the drum to help with pedal being centered.
Then use the 3rd leg mount to set up a cymbal arm or even tom mount. Lots of possibilities and combinations to work with if you take some time to search out ideas.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of prior posts on this. You can go on the cheap and flip it on its side, use the tom heads and hoops, use the FT legs angled as best you can to keep the front up and make a home made riser (but I'd spend $40 and get the Dixson riser - it works with any drum and with non-bass hoops. The Gibraltar one is $30 and good but requires wood hoops as it clamps onto them as do DW clip on legs). This way you can try it.

If you decide to go full out, you can get new rods, hoops, claws and bass heads. Note that 18" bass heads work only on wood hoops and 18" tom hoops work with wood and triple flange tom hoops. If you don't want to the drill into the shell to add legs, and the floor tom legs mount holes take 9.5 mm legs, you can buy a set of Danmar Ludwig gullwing Repro legs for $30 which will prop the front up nicely. That and the Dixson work really well. I prefer wood hoops and a full conversion with wood hoops.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you don't want to the drill into the shell to add legs, and the floor tom legs mount holes take 9.5 mm legs, you can buy a set of Danmar Ludwig gullwing Repro legs for $30 which will prop the front up nicely. That and the Dixson work really well.
I would follow this advice and be done. Adding bass drum hoops is really not necessary, and as you said, maybe it wouldn't work with your tom lugs.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can add hoops for a more bass drum sound (really those make a huge difference) but that will cost extra claws, rods, hoops, and new bd heads.

This is is all you need to get started. The Gibraltar conversion kit. You can always add the bd hoop conversion later on.

1627551529079.png

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
I’ve done it before with 16” and 18” toms with no issues. I just bought hoops, class and tension rods and it just worked out lol. Maybe I got lucky but it worked for me with great results.
Was that on a Pearl?

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
Plenty of prior posts on this. You can go on the cheap and flip it on its side, use the tom heads and hoops, use the FT legs angled as best you can to keep the front up and make a home made riser (but I'd spend $40 and get the Dixson riser - it works with any drum and with non-bass hoops. The Gibraltar one is $30 and good but requires wood hoops as it clamps onto them as do DW clip on legs). This way you can try it.

If you decide to go full out, you can get new rods, hoops, claws and bass heads. Note that 18" bass heads work only on wood hoops and 18" tom hoops work with wood and triple flange tom hoops. If you don't want to the drill into the shell to add legs, and the floor tom legs mount holes take 9.5 mm legs, you can buy a set of Danmar Ludwig gullwing Repro legs for $30 which will prop the front up nicely. That and the Dixson work really well. I prefer wood hoops and a full conversion with wood hoops.
I want to install normal bass drum spurs for visual reasons. Any advice on plugging the holes left by the floor tom leg mounts? Also should I be worried about the 7.5 mm she’ll supporting toms?

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
flip out spurs like with the conversion kit above are 'normal' spurs...look at vintage club date...

are you going to use tom heads or bass drum heads? that might effect the lug positioning too...i think BD heads have deepere collars.

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
flip out spurs like with the conversion kit above are 'normal' spurs...look at vintage club date...

are you going to use tom heads or bass drum heads? that might effect the lug positioning too...i think BD heads have deepere collars.
I’m planning on using bass drum heads because of the wood hoops.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to install normal bass drum spurs for visual reasons. Any advice on plugging the holes left by the floor tom leg mounts? Also should I be worried about the 7.5 mm she’ll supporting toms?
What is the hole design currently? Two holes per bracket? Can you reuse holes? I'd probably mount flip out legs (Gibraltar makes for $30-40) and use the old holes if you can. If not, try to patch using JB marine weld, a fiberglass repair kit or be creative (off the top of my head, maybe silicone caulking, liquid nails or wood glue - build up layers).
As for weight, I don't know. Type of mount? What does the bass have? How many toms will you mount?

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Add real spurs and real hoops it just looks better. Leaving the regular hoops and using floor Tom legs just looks wonky IMO

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
Add real spurs and real hoops it just looks better. Leaving the regular hoops and using floor Tom legs just looks wonky IMO
What is the hole design currently? Two holes per bracket? Can you reuse holes? I'd probably mount flip out legs (Gibraltar makes for $30-40) and use the old holes if you can. If not, try to patch using JB marine weld, a fiberglass repair kit or be creative (off the top of my head, maybe silicone caulking, liquid nails or wood glue - build up layers).
As for weight, I don't know. Type of mount? What does the bass have? How many toms will you mount?
It’s two holes per bracket. What do you think about putting air vents in the holes?
As for the tom mounts, I’ll probably install Pearls standard tom mount with two holes. I have a 10 and 12 I’d mount from it.

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All great advise above.

From the original post, you said you were 'not going to use a riser'. I would keep an open mind to that. I didn't use one on my 18" FT conversion, but then I got one and it sounded so much better having the beater hit center.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 18's with and without risers....no problem. The above riser is the Gibralatar. Only issue is you then need an allen wrench to put it on and off. Dixson goes under the shell and has no mounting hardware. The drum shell just sits on top of it (I have no affiliation with them...I judy like them a lot and use them!)

As for putting grommets into the FT leg holes, sure you can do that to make them vent holes. I think I would just fill with yellow wood glue and would not want 6 holes (plus a badge hole?) Put the badge upright, fill the holes, add legs, hoops, bass heads, claws and likely need longer rods, and you can nicely do a full blow conversion for under $300, and probably much less.

Please post before, during and after pics!