18” Floor tom to bass drum conversion

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just bought a riser and legs that fit my leg mounts . Mine is 16” but an 18” would be the same . I’m fine with not having wood hoops .

817635E1-8DF6-4A61-9D04-207280A8CBEA.jpeg

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I converted a Ludwig 16x18, only I cut 4 inches off one end. The floor tom leg mounts were in weird spot to where they were either too high or too low depending on how the shell was rotated so I plugged all the holes and drilled new ones. It looks great from the audience and pretty good up close even.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you set the drum on the floor, a bass drum hoop, at least on the batter side, is a must.
However, if someone wants to use a riser, I would say keep the tom hoop, again talking about the batter side. A bass drum hoop always gets in the way of the pedal when using a riser. You need to mount the pedal at a distance, which makes the beater hit at an angle.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is not always the truth.

I used the Dixson riser without any problems and ni angle.
Doesn't the pedal plate, or strap/chain, hit the hoop when the pedal is close? I could not get along with a bd hoop and a riser. Yamaha cut a notch out of the hoop on the Absolute 18" for that reason.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Doesn't the pedal plate, or strap/chain, hit the hoop when the pedal is close? I could not get along with a bd hoop and a riser. Yamaha cut a notch out of the hoop on the Absolute 18" for that reason.
I never had that experience.

The lip of the Dixson is quite long, to overcome that issue.

The older Absolute line had a cut out indeed as the duck foot riser had a shorter lip.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The lip of the Dixson is quite long, to overcome that issue.
That's what I mean, to overcome that issue, the pedal has to be too far away from the drum head, hence the beater striking at an angle.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Geeez , by the time you buy hoops , Spurs , claws t rods and heads you could just buy an 18” bass drum kit …..

There’s a good chance you’ll have lug splay like crazy as well .
Agreed, the lugs on a floor tom are often narrower than the lugs on a bass drum, so they likely won’t accommodate the wooden hoops.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Just get THIS so that you can easily swap it back to a floor tom if you decide to sell. In the vintage Tama market, there are a ton of people who convert floor toms to bass drums and vice versa. The second you drill any extra holes or make any type of mods that aren't easily reversible, the drum loses a lot of resale value. If you plan on keeping it forever, go for it, but odds are that someone out there is looking for a matching 18x16 for their kit that they'd be willing to buy off of you, which you could then buy your matching bass drum with. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I converted a late 80's Ludwig 16x18 floor tom to bass. I'm using bass drum heads with wood hoops and a Dixon riser. There are no problems with pedal hitting the hoop. The pedal clamp is in direct alinement with the hoop as a standard setup and plays normal like any other larger bass drum. In fact I like it better than clamping to the hoop, I even use it for my 20" bass. It's easier to set up. You just clamp the pedal to the DIXON, put it on the floor and set the bass on top; done, ready to play.

I'm using the standard lugs that were on the drum, all I had to do was get longer lug bolts and clamps for the hoop.

At this time I'm using "L" brackets for legs connected to the original tom leg mounts and Pearl Air Feet. NOT RECOMMENDED if mounting a 12" tom, it's a little top heavy. I'm thinking of using the iNDY or ATLAS style lug replacements for the leg system. No drilling of new holes.

sherm

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s two holes per bracket. What do you think about putting air vents in the holes?
As for the tom mounts, I’ll probably install Pearls standard tom mount with two holes. I have a 10 and 12 I’d mount from it.
If you're going to change out a bunch of parts and add a bunch, you may be spending as it would cost to buy a complete 18" bass drum (and you wouldn't have an overdrilled tom).

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you're going to change out a bunch of parts and add a bunch, you may be spending as it would cost to buy a complete 18" bass drum (and you wouldn't have an overdrilled tom).
I agree; I would use the same lugs that came with the drum. Larger lugs are not needed for bass drums as was the general rule years ago. My new 20" CM Ludwig is sporting the new Ludwig mini lugs and it looks nice. The audience could care less, your the only person that will notice any differences in your drums. I played with one of my friends for a year before he realized I had new drums. I would also leave the original leg mounts on the drum to be used for a tom again for some reason in the future.

sherm

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bay Area Clist has an 18" bass drum cradle for $100. All you need to do is flip your drum.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve never seen anything but 22”s .
Look for a Pearl Roadshow ….
Hardware, hoops, etc. on the Roadshow is all crap. I started off with a Roadshow last year, still have it but I replaced all the hoops and a bit of the hardware, tom mounts, arms, throw on the snare. Hoops on the bass are warp-y but I still use them, they're going to be replaced next if/when I get around to it. It's in boxes right now, spare kit.

Shells were fine for what it is - hardware, ugh.