18” rides?…..who loves ‘em….who uses ‘em?

CKV

Reaction score
Was about to comment when I saw yours - “good enough for Jimmy C....” seems like in an interview he said never used 22s, always smaller than that - and he got some pretty wonderful cymbal sounds imho

Reactions: JDA

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved to an A Zildjian 18" flat ride for my apartment kit-in-a-closet :) Less noise, better fit.

KIT IN A CLOSET 2.JPG

T-2

Reaction score
I have an 18" small stamp A that I often use as my ride, it's got a big chunk missing, sort of like Mel's ride...... anyway, I love that cymbal. I'll add a pic later.

Of current products that I'm aware of, I think Zildjian's 18" Uptown ride is wonderful. Sounds more like a young Tony cymbal (to me) than all the hand hammered wannabe's, and affordable too.

stick2it

Reaction score
I agree with mtarrani: depends on the music and the mood. It depends, also, on the cymbal. There are 18s that might work as a ride and 18s that don't. Many cymbals larger than 18 have the opposite problem: they don't crash. An 18 for sale on DFO that sounds like it might work well as a light-ride/crash is this 18 Collingwood ride.

Generally, if I have two cymbals (plus hi hats), the two cymbals are some pairing of a 22, 20s, and a 19, where each cymbal rides and crashes well. To my ear, 18s are generally not enough of a cymbal to both ride and crash well. That said, I have a 17" Istanbul Agop Traditional Dark Crash that I almost sold until I came to love it again. I used it over the years only as a crash for amplified music, where it shines; but only recently, I discovered that it's a wonderful, warm crash that rides surprisingly well, lightly. It could be used as a second light-ride/crash to a 19 or 20 in a small venue for jazz or other acoustic music.

Last edited:

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an 18" Sabian flat ride that's super wonderful. Depending on the gig it can be a main ride or an aux ride. Never a crash though...it's only drawback...and that's no biggie.
I also use this one and a 20" Zildjian flat ride with younger students for the lack of sound build up...
bt

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to play one of those Zildjian Remix Breakbeat rides (remember those?). It was 18". Very dry, very quiet. Great for low volume gigs (if you want dry sound). The bell was very small, if I remember correctly.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
I have an old pre-serial 18" 602, I use it on Jazz gigs as a L S Ride, really like it.
Nice definition, doesn't wash too much, nice contrast to my main ride.
Somewhat heavy cymbal, a drummer once suggested it may have been an orchestral cymbal...don't know, I like it though.
could also be an 18" Heavy

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have small collection of 6 Zildjian 18"'s from a Type 2 at 1370 g and a Type 3 at 1514 g. to a number of 1960's from 1414 g to 1490 g plus a 18" Paiste Stambul '65 at 1680 g. I like them with my 60's Ludwig kits. for rock and country.

AndyW.

Reaction score
I have a K Istanbul 18" Intermediate stamp at 1520g, which I use as my Left side ride. Has a great bell

mikepmcde

Reaction score
There’s an 18” ride I’m lusting after. I’ve been waiting for the right deal to come along.
what’s the name of it? i’m just curious. don’t need to worry ab me snatching it i just busted a load on zildjian rarities that cost an arm and a leg

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what’s the name of it? i’m just curious. don’t need to worry ab me snatching it i just busted a load on zildjian rarities that cost an arm and a leg
It’s nothing too special. Just looking for an 18” 2002 ride from the 70s. Black label.

mikepmcde

Reaction score
It’s nothing too special. Just looking for an 18” 2002 ride from the 70s. Black label.
very nice. i’m on a trail quest for a 19” that zildjian made for only 1 year. terribly rare but i’m in love with the sound of the companion models.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
Just one more and I promise I’m done - an 18” Short Crash is an amazing substitute for a flat ride. I had a Paiste seven sound set flat,,, and I sold it after one gig. The short crash is a bit louder as a ride. It’s an excellent lower volume crash too.
39600048-4EFF-4411-BB49-B6221473322C.jpeg