The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the input is much appreciated.

Here's my second attempt, but first, a picture of a box of puppies-
View attachment 460899

and now...

I think I'm getting closer..
Double check the tension on your rack tom.
You're getting distortion.
Could be the notes you tuned those heads to are dissonant, or you've missed the note on one of them.

Elvis

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All the input is much appreciated.

Here's my second attempt
The fundmanetal tones are there, but it sounds like the heads on the 14 are tuned very differently, maybe you only tensioned the top head to get there? If you loosen the tighter head and tighten the looser one to the same degree, the overall tone should stay the same, with a more open, balanced sound.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Yes, Jazz Turkey's tuning is really low. This should be similar to Tracktuary's tuning, except that the two 16" bass drums are at G:

Of course, I don't play the snare here. I usually have it tuned around G#. G just feels too low for me.

Edit: the bass drums sound completely different from front of the drums.
How do you tune batter vs. reso? Your drums sound great! I remember you telling me a couple years back that you thought my snare was a little too "wet" on a recording I shared. I've tried bringing it higher like you, but haven't been able to adapt to that tighter feel.

ThomasL

Reaction score
How do you tune batter vs. reso? Your drums sound great! I remember you telling me a couple years back that you thought my snare was a little too "wet" on a recording I shared. I've tried bringing it higher like you, but haven't been able to adapt to that tighter feel.
12" both heads equal, FT bottom full step higher (thanks to Seb for this recipe). BD varies, I used to tune both heads to the same pitch, but lately I've been tuning the reso lower (full step to minor third) in an attempt to get less boom (fundamental sustain). For some reason, I never got reso higher to work.

I see your point regarding the feel of the snare head. This works well on my 8x14 snares, but when I tune a shallower snare to the same tension, it kind of feels harder?

Of course, my reference snares are a Gretsch wood snare and a hammered bronze Supra, both dry by nature, so it might not be the pitch alone...

Tracktuary

Reaction score
12" both heads equal, FT bottom full step higher (thanks to Seb for this recipe). BD varies, I used to tune both heads to the same pitch, but lately I've been tuning the reso lower (full step to minor third) in an attempt to get less boom (fundamental sustain). For some reason, I never got reso higher to work.
I must thank @Seb77, as well. He is the tuning guru. I found the C/F/G combo for floor/rack/snare on my own. Then it was Seb who told me to bring my bass drum to an F. That seemed way too high to me; I was much lower in pitch with some muffling (more of a thud). It has taken a while, but I'm finally used to the feel of a bass drum up there. And just like you said in an earlier post, it sounds much different out front (round, lower, etc.). Seb is also my go-to guy whenever I'm trying to figure out how different guys tune their drums. He can pick out the overtones on the batter head to reverse engineer batter:reso ratios.

A couple of drummers were at my gig last week, and both commented on how my drums sounded. One of them was gushing about nearly every aspect: snare pitch working with my toms; the tone of my bass drum; great sounding kit. Now I'll go 51 weeks straight with no one commenting nor caring about them!

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Take 3.

Switched to coated ambassador over clear ambassador for toms, fiberskyn diplomat snare batter. Changed back to the Gretsch suspension rack tom mount.

First a picture of a mountain lake..

View attachment 460970

And now v3.0
This sounds great! How do you like it? How is the feel? Your drums are singing!

What's your batter:reso relationship?

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
I typically use a 6-lug 5x14 snare drum tuned lower then a 12" tom... to get that nice woody sound that's perfect for jazz.

This also applies to any 8 lug wooden snare drums too. Rule # 1... NEVER tight... always loose... especially for jazz.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
This sounds great! How do you like it? How is the feel? Your drums are singing!

What's your batter:reso relationship?
It feels like I can play a tune with the drums... Much more musical than my usual random drum tensioning.

Here's a vid of the batter-reso relationships. Short of removing a head, I'm not sure how to get a clear note. It feels like there is quite a difference in the pitches.

First a picture of a happy dog at a ski area...
0422181219a.jpg

And now batters and resonants.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
JT,

I think you've got it!
The drums sound really nice now.
I wouldn't futz with them anymore, if I were you.
Nice job on getting it all sorted out.
...now...just remember what you did this time, so you can repeat it next time. :thumbup:

Elvis

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bass (18"): F (root)
Floor (14"): C (5th)
Tom (12"): F (octave)
Snare (14"): G (9th)

Can also look at it like this:
Bass (18"): F (octave below 4th)
Floor (14"): C (root)
Tom (12"): F (4th)
Snare (14"): G (5th)

So, I put the snare a whole step above the rack tom. Here's my homemade, low-quality video, which I've shared before:

Hey Man
I think your dead on. Ive fooled around with tuning to the point of frustration. I play mainly Blues, Jazz/Swing. a few years back I switched to a Sonor Safari kit..
I admit I tried tuning like my bigger Yamaha kit and nothing sounded right. Your video makes so much sense and one area i agree with you 100% is the kick
at F. So many folks want to tune to the low note on the string Bass
E1. The Bassist i play with most often plays a great standup and by tuning to his E1 i felt i was just meshing with him and perhaps killing his work. Id fooled around going a bit higher and it was better but I always though I was off somehow. Your idea to tune both the rack and kick to the same note albeit diff htz is great.