18" Bass Drum: I have some questions

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I actually found a guy on Reverb. He posted a brand new 20" bass that he built. I had not heard of them yet, I don't think. Although the snares he's built look like something recently posted over on Drummerworld. The bass drum looks GREAT! But I don't know if I want to add to my existing FrankenTama "hip gigger" kit, OR get a 3/4 piece in a used players condition.

Oh, the guy's name is STUBBELFIELD? Out of N.Carolina I think it was? Seriously nice looking bass drum, reasonably priced too.

Heck, now I'm back to considering the local Catalina kit with an 18" bass. . . . ..

YOU ALL HAVE THOROUGHLY MESSED ME UP AGAIN! Ha But you've given me more options.

THanks?
You're welcome.
I'll probably get tar'd and feathered for this, but this kit you're putting together is for playing Rock'n'Roll, right?
I would look more at the Yamaha Stage Custom Bop kit than the little Gretsch Catalina.
I've heard a number of those Cat's and they all seemed to have a bit of a weak bass drum signal.
The Yamaha's bass seems to come across with a little more gusto.
...JMHO, based on what I've heard from both kits, in person.
When you call the Stubblefield guy about his drums, listen real close....should be some slammin' funk goin' on in the back somewhere. ;)

zlron

Reaction score
Quality Used, yes definitely. I don't mind a players kit, but it has to be structurally intact. No weird cracks, splits, or such serious wrap peeling that I feel the need to re-wrap etc, etc, decent to better than decent hardware. I'm with ya! I've been doing a crap ton of searches. Seen some truly horrible kits, and I have my eye on a couple SUPER nice used kits.

Thanks Sherm
Try tama stage star kit poplar shells comes with a 18 inch base can be purchased cheap. if you want maple try pdp bop wood hoop maple kit 18 inch base, I love mine. I have purchased many used kits never regretted it, there are tons out there,

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, for the time, I decided on the Stubblefield custom bass drum I found on Reverb. It's 20 x12. So as someone suggested about getting a 20 or 22 cut down, I did, similar.

YES Elvis! The majority of the music I would play is definitely Rock n Roll. Blues, some old school funk, R&B, and definitely some heavier rock too. This is mainly why I've held off on the 18" setup. Someone posted the bass drum size comparison videos, that's one that I watched just a few days ago while trying to make my decision on which size. With my sound system, the smaller than average size basses sounded meek to me. Maybe because I'm SO used to hearing the bigger boomy bass drums. And, I'm not going to be tuning up much for jazz. So might as well stick with size. The cutdown depth of 12" will help my back, and will be simply different than my 22s that are both 18-20" deep.

I'm still eyeing Catalinas and stage customs.

Try tama stage star kit poplar shells comes with a 18 inch base can be purchased cheap. if you want maple try pdp bop wood hoop maple kit 18 inch base, I love mine. I have purchased many used kits never regretted it, there are tons out there,
Yep for sure. I refurbished a PDP M5 last year, sounds great. I have NO problem with used. That was part of my purchasing parameters to start with.

Once again on the Ludwig suggestion, I really did look A LOT. But either they needed a ton of work, or too much money for my tastes.

Thanks all!

I will post pics next week after the bass drum arrives (if it doesn't drive me nuts trying to do so).

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own 3 kits with an 18" kick; Gretsch Catalina ("mahogany"), Gretsch Brooklyn (maple/poplar) and a (custom) 7drums (maple). I use drum kits in that size for everything (rock, pop, country, etc.) and I do not use a bass drum riser and have no problem getting a plenty of punch out of the kick. Last year I played a gig opening up for Shooter Jennings (his drummer had a 26" kick and I'm there with an 18") the sound man said my kick had a better overall sound over the 26" kick.

I play my kick hard and have no problem with keeping up volume wise with amps on stage but I also mic my drums at every gig since I'm using IEM.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own 3 kits with an 18" kick; Gretsch Catalina ("mahogany"), Gretsch Brooklyn (maple/poplar) and a (custom) 7drums (maple). I use drum kits in that size for everything (rock, pop, country, etc.) and I do not use a bass drum riser and have no problem getting a plenty of punch out of the kick. Last year I played a gig opening up for Shooter Jennings (his drummer had a 26" kick and I'm there with an 18") the sound man said my kick had a better overall sound over the 26" kick.

I play my kick hard and have no problem with keeping up volume wise with amps on stage but I also mic my drums at every gig since I'm using IEM.
I think more than anything, it's my inexperience with 18s as to why I haven't bit the bullet yet. The only thing that really discouraged me were a couple videos I watched. They just sounded meek compared to the larger basses.

But, I'm sure I will have one eventually.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Actually you really need to hear drums in person if possible. Recordings and You Tube videos just do not do it for me. I have yet to see one with an exact duplicate of setup from one drum to another. Either, one of them will be a different wood or one will have a different head on it or different tuning or what ever.

sherm

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually you really need to hear drums in person if possible. Recordings and You Tube videos just do not do it for me. I have yet to see one with an exact duplicate of setup from one drum to another. Either, one of them will be a different wood or one will have a different head on it or different tuning or what ever.

sherm
I totally agree! But with my music store situation locally, I lean hard towards buying online. I did a couple hundred thousand miles of driving back n forth to work in my 20s thru early 40s. I'm so burnt on longer drives. I'd rather take a small chance and refer to videos, than to drive 90 minutes to a store and maybe not buy anything.

I'm not knocking 18s! Not in the least. I simply have no experience with them.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've already picked up a 20" bass drum. Did you see the pics? It's a nice drum

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I looked at the rock n roller--if and when I'll buy something cheaper there as well. A $110 aluminum hand cart and add some pool noodles for protection (but those r n rollers are nice man).

There is a guy locally selling a Catalina w/snare, gold sparkle. It has an 18" bass. I also have searched TONS on Reverb and Ebay--I definitely have my eye on deals. I just can't make up my mind what configuration.
Those rock n rollers are worth their weight in gold, especially if you do a lot of gigging. I got mine about 10 years ago and it's held up to a 1000+ gigs so far. If it doesn't come with the No-Flat tires, that's another expense that's worth it. I have the R6 which was about $130 when I bought it. It fits a 4 piece kit (with 24" bass drum in a bag), mic case, throne, gear bag (duffle bag), cymbal bag, and my hardware case (SKB golf case). The main advantage in going up in size are bigger wheels for grass and gravel. The bigger ones also have a wider stance due to the wheels, which can be a bad thing depending on your car/storage, but may be necessary if you have a bigger kit.

For me, if you're doing rock, I'd go with a 20" minimum. Even mic'ed up 16's and 18's just lack a little bit of that oomph you typically want in rock. My 16" Breakbeat can sound decent, esp. in a smaller room and mic'ed, but it doesn't compare with my bigger drums. However, you'd have to make the determination yourself if it's the trade-off you're fine with. Plus, it also depends on the drum itself. My Roger's 20" bass drum is pretty close to the fullness of my 22 and 24. An 18" could get pretty close, depending on the shell and heads/tuning.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Does anyone read the previous posts?
Why would we, we're too busy re-reading our own! :pottytrain1::laughing5:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Old Dog,

That Stubblefield bass drum looks AMAZING!
I bet it sounds just as good.
As long as it works for you, then its THE BEST drum you coulda bought.
Congrats on a great grab, dude. Rock on. :thumbup:

Elvis

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why would we, we're too busy re-reading our own! :pottytrain1::laughing5:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Old Dog,

That Stubblefield bass drum looks AMAZING!
I bet it sounds just as good.
As long as it works for you, then its THE BEST drum you coulda bought.
Congrats on a great grab, dude. Rock on. :thumbup:

Elvis
Thanks Elvis! It's really cool. I'm so glad I found it, and that the guy took my offer. It's nice and punchy. But still has a nice low guttural thing goin' for sure. :headbang: