18" Giant beat pairing - suggestions?

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have an 18" Giant Beat reissue. It's the standard "multi -functional" one, which I'm trying to pair with another smaller and higher-pitched crash cymbal. Sadly, I have almost no chance to try before I buy.

I already got a black label 505 16" Crash to try but it isn't working out. Right now I'm looking at:

1) Sig 16" Fast crash
2) Sig 17" Full crash
3) UFIP Class 16" Medium crash.

Anyone have any thoughts? The Signatures seem like a solid option and I like the sound files for them. Not sure which one is a better fit though. Also open to other suggestions, especially if you have comboed GBs successfully!

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd probably do the 17" Full to be safe.

Related to the Giant Beat - The 17" Full and the 16" Fast are a tad thinner and probably not as high pitch as that UFIP. The problem though, is that too high of pitch and you'll be in the same territory as the Giant Beat. The options you have are all thicker, heavier, and higher pitched than the 505.

SKINZ

Reaction score
2002 18 MED CRASH ....mine has 4 rivets rides and crashesssssssssssssssss :headbang:

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Can´t go wrong with either of the Paistes IMHO. I´d throw the 16" Sig Mellow into the mix.
Hm. I had discounted the Mellow crash based on the Paiste sample, which is kinda off sounding. After looking at some YT videos I may have to reconsider this one..

stuart s

Reaction score
16" thin 2002 would pair if you go smaller
19" PST 7 thin or medium of you want to go bigger on a budget

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a "perfect" match, but I like it. I use an 18" GB with a 16" Thin Traditional, and I like the combo. Here's a live video of me using that exact combo.

In retrospect since it was outdoors and in front of a big crown I probably should have brought a bigger right side crash than the 16, but it worked. If you listen to the solo at the end you can hear me playing both cymbals a lot. There is also a bunch of vids from this same show on my youtube page, if you want further examples.

There are some "drumcam" shots at the end of my page that are shot close with my zoom at the same show. The 16" is right next to the zoom, so it's a little hot. But with these vids you are not relying on the overheads.

Hope that helps,
MSG

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys!

The Mellow crash on closer inspection may be a little light, however I like the added complexity. Maybe the Dark Energy 16" is another contender..

A 17" Fast turned up locally but I think it's typically too close in pitch to the GB to be a safe bet - currently leaning 16" Fast out of the above.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I use an 18 Giant Beat on my left and a 17 2002 on my right most of the time.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm coincidentally approaching the same situation as you find yourself in . Last week I scored a re issue 18" Giant Beat designated as ' thin ' for a reasonable price off of the local KIJIJI .

I haven't had much luck matching Paistes with other brands, so I'm on the lookout . Trick is to find a cymbal that doesn't overpower the other one , so maybe smaller but in the medium weight range would balance it out .

I once had a 17" Sig. Full Crash and it was outstanding . If I close my eyes and listen, it would be a good partner for the GB 18 .

I'm planning to check out a 2002 17" 'thin' locally on the used market ... to be continued ...

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to have a big Giant Beat/2oo2 setup. The 18" Giant Beat paired really well IMO with regular 2oo2 crashes, and also just as well with Signature crashes. I was using the 18" GB, 18" 2oo2 and 16 Sig Full at that time. Sometimes for bigger gigs, the Sig would be a 20" Full.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Took my 18 thin GB and A-B'd it with the 2002 17 thin . Very comfortable interval and decided not to let it pass me by and bought the 17 .

Update - the 2002 17 is harsher than the 18 GB , but not overpoweringly so .

Last edited:

jmato

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a "perfect" match, but I like it. I use an 18" GB with a 16" Thin Traditional, and I like the combo. Here's a live video of me using that exact combo.

In retrospect since it was outdoors and in front of a big crown I probably should have brought a bigger right side crash than the 16, but it worked. If you listen to the solo at the end you can hear me playing both cymbals a lot. There is also a bunch of vids from this same show on my youtube page, if you want further examples.

There are some "drumcam" shots at the end of my page that are shot close with my zoom at the same show. The 16" is right next to the zoom, so it's a little hot. But with these vids you are not relying on the overheads.

Hope that helps,
MSG
I do the same pairing - 18, 20, and 22 GBs with a 16” Sig Traditional Thin for brighter, fast decay crashes. It pairs very well. Good luck!

Latest posts