18 " Hit Hats Anyone?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try it Gene and lettuce know how you you feel about it.
Too crazy for me; guess he needed it to ' battle' the amps and stage etc.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried a couple of heavy 18" field/hand cymbals a couple times (1950/2200 gm). Those were a bear to just move with your foot! Great chup....but not so great stick. It was a lot easier trying to move a pair of crash cymbals in weights of 1450/1700....but still a chore.

Black Label

Reaction score
I sometimes pair my Paiste 18" Giant Beat multi up as a top with my vintage and heavier 18" Stambul 65 as the bottom. Lovely low and sloshy loose sound. I think that 18's should be played loosely and not tightly closed. They will probably then lack definition. But I hardly ever play my hats tightly closed anyway. I love this combo.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did an 18" K thin dark crash and an 18" K custom dark crash for a while (like an hour!)......it was just too big and my foot got tired playing the 2/4. Definitely not a jazz setup.....

bamamule77

Reaction score
Joking aside, they sound amazing on that clip. That slosh sound is great. I play some 16 K lights and I wouldn’t trade them for anything, they’re not for everyone but they fit my style perfectly.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
17 has been my limit. I like them, but they lack a chick sound. My 14 and 15 pairs are better for that. So it just depends what I’m doing. I used 17s in a gig yesterday, but I’ll admit, I really missed the chick sound that I wanted in certain songs. A trade off either way you go.