18" kick....wasn't impressed.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really though the 18" take no less room than any other kick.
Quite true. My cymbal stands are gonna be in the same place on the floor regardless of the width of the bass drum. No real estate savings by having a small bass drum, at least not for me.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What drum heads are you using? Ported resonant head? How is it tuned?
Stretch
I'm using a Remo clear (colortone) PS3 on the batter with the colortone reso (ported) head or Ambassador (I have both ported and full) reso ... all depends on the band that night. I have the heads tuned higher than you would expect, I tune them where you get a sustained tone out of the heads (batter and reso side) like a floor tom ... I tune the bass drums for every gig in every venue/room so it changes from gig to gig but that's my usual go to for tuning. I use a SledgePad mini vented pad inside the kick which helps add punch and definition. I mic my whole kit 99.9% of the time no matter the size of the venue. I also don't bury the beater as I'm looking for tone out of the kick and actually kick pretty hard. I'm also using a standard Low Boy Beater.

Here's a video where I'm using a ported reso head (audio is from the GoPro).

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently got a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau w/an 18” kick and love it! Aquarian SKI on batter and Aquarian Regulator on resonant.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I hear ya but we are not talking about how a mic'ed kit sounds out front. The problem was hearing the kick up on the stage in a small stage in a small bar. In that situation, you normally don't have stage monitors and the little kick simply could not overcome the stage and/or room volume.
Older, I was saying that I have 18's that thump hard without any miking - easily enough to carry most music except like thrash heavy metal. Rock & blues - no problems. And if you miked them, you'd never know they were only 18'sj...you'd have a deep full bass sound.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
My Breakbeats has self-muffling heads and a small port, but is empty inside.
Just like me...

But seriously, I pretty much only use my Breakbeats at one venue and I've had a couple drummers play them and the bass drum sounds bigger than it is. I mic it and boost the low end a bit, so that definitely adds to the sound, but I can still hear how it punches through the other instruments on its own, at least at this particular bar.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Older, I was saying that I have 18's that thump hard without any miking - easily enough to carry most music except like thrash heavy metal. Rock & blues - no problems. And if you miked them, you'd never know they were only 18'sj...you'd have a deep full bass sound.
Gotcha....
All I know is what I experienced. It was my first opportunity to play in front of an 18" kick and experience what other band members have to deal with. Like I said...the rest of the kit sounded great and the cymbals were doing what cymbals do....which was make my ears hurt.... but the little kick simply got drowned out.
BTW...we were not that loud either. I would consider it normal.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As the saying goes: "There is no replacement for displacement"

Ok....played a gig the other night at a bar on a small stage. FYI...I played Bass guitar so I stood in front/beside the drummer all night. Anyway, the drummer used a small USA Gretstch kit with an 18 in kick. I could never hear the kick. I could hear every other part of the kit perfectly but I could never hear the kick.

Now...I'm not saying that a small kick wouldn't work when miced up and blasted through a PA out front but for a stage presence in a bar? Nah...I want something I can hear.
Sorry I haven't read all the replies; but something is wrong. The heads could be tuned wrong and/or maybe using too soft a beater. It could also have too much muffling. I played in small crowded clubs with a Gretsch Catalina Club using a 14x18" bass and that thing was a killer. I also have a converted Ludwig Classic floor tom 16x18 bass and have received a number of compliments from other drummers. One said, by listening I thought it was a 20 or 22 bass. In small rooms those things are great. Both of the drums had PS3 Fiberskyn heads on both sides with a 4" port in the reso head and a hand towel inside touching the batter head.

Contrary to some beliefs: Both heads have to be tight to create tone.

sherm

rock roll

Reaction score
I've just gotten a premier 16x14 bass drum , and used it at an acoustic open mic night. I can tell I haven't got it tuned correctly but for acoustic nights almost anything will work. And yes it fells like I'm using a floor tom.
I usually gig with my 18x14 (bass drum) Tama stage master kit .
It booms quite a bit, but is nowhere close to my 22" premier resonator bass drum. But it's soooo heavy.
So for me , if I'm playing rock , like sabbath , Hendrix , steppe wolf , etc I need a bigger bass drum, but if I'm playing rock n roll like chuck berry , del Shannon , spiral staircase , etc ... I can do with an 18" bass drum but 20" would be better.
I'm not thrilled so far with the 16" bass drum but I've barely used it so it's too soon to tell .

And as for ' ... to answer masterblaster's question , would use a 16" bass drum as a beer holder and cigarette ash tray.

And too "bongomania" ... I agree with you about resonant frequency's canceling out each other.

And last.y ...back to " olderscool" ....... It can also depend on the player.
I have to beat the water out of my 18" but when I do it booms.and everyone is amazed at how well it does.
But when others play it , it's not as boomy and you can't hear it so well.
Just one of many possibilities , like everyone above is saying ... From the tuning to the head type , etc etc.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
David, these Silverstar bop kits came with a built-on riser that folds under the drum for transport and swings out in a flip motion for use, very handy. No need to adjust beater height as the beater strikes nearly dead center.
Really sucks that Tama quit making that kit.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

Ok....played a gig the other night at a bar on a small stage. FYI...I played Bass guitar so I stood in front/beside the drummer all night. Anyway, the drummer used a small USA Gretstch kit with an 18 in kick. I could never hear the kick. I could hear every other part of the kit perfectly but I could never hear the kick.

Now...I'm not saying that a small kick wouldn't work when miced up and blasted through a PA out front but for a stage presence in a bar? Nah...I want something I can hear.
...could've been the drummer that night, too.....

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Just curious, what rig were you using? How many amps? What speakers?

In my experience, an 800 watt amp and four tens can bury ANY un-mic'd bass drum, no matter what size.

Stone Wilcoxon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went to an 18 a few years ago, and I love it. Punch and definition for days, and with a D6 inside, it can get the thump too. I started out sampling the world of bop kits with a Mapex Meridian Maple, but sold that and picked up a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 15x18, and take my old DW 10 and 14 toms. That makes a killer gig kit that's easy to haul, and mics up nicely too. Put a SK-1 on the batter side of that Yamaha, Fiberskin Ambassador on the reso.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I know the engineer will love you for porting your BD, regardless of size.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just curious, what rig were you using? How many amps? What speakers?

In my experience, an 800 watt amp and four tens can bury ANY un-mic'd bass drum, no matter what size.
I'm not sure because I simply plugged into the house Amp that was fed to the sound man. I know it was a Fender Rumble and if I had to guess, I believe it was a Fender Rumble 100. I can tell you it was pretty small with one driver. It was half the size of my normal Bass Cab which is below

Attachments