18" Ludwig floor tom wrap crack

pstone

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Ludwig 18" x 16" white cortex, pointy B/O badge floor tom...
Unfortunately, it has a few horizontal cracks in the wrap.
My question is: Is there any way to repair the cracks using a filler type product? Maybe wood filler?
I would hate to rip off the otherwise scratch free cortex wrap.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pstone

View attachment 125127

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
hmmm...odd to see such a long crack in a wrap that is glued onto the shell :shock: I'd about think a wood filler would be in such a thin line that it'd crack and fall out. possibly auto touch up paint could be applied a few times and lightly sanded over and buffed out...a pure white might be too white for the wrap though, esp if its aged a bit...could be trial and error till you find out. maybe try different fillers in just small sections of a couple inches at a crack (pun intended) to see how it looks and if it lasts...

pstone

Reaction score
Out here in Arizona, things tend to crack and dry out due to the lack of humidity...You should see my ex-wife.
I'll take a trip to Home Depot and Auto Zone and see what they have.
If anyone has had any success with any of the above mentioned methods, please let me know.
Thanks,
Pstone

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just recently acquired a similar drum. The black Cortex peeled right off, and Precision rewrapped it in Vintage WMP. I don't consider Cortex a special enough wrap to even worry about. Of course, your mileage may vary.