18x22 or 14x22

dhartman

Reaction score
What's your thoughts on these two sizes? I would assume the 14x22 would be a little more punchy. But is the 18x22 just to deep for general playing purposes? Or not?

Thanks

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
INDeDrum said:
14x22 is more punchy. More depth = more muddiness. And not fitting through doorways or in trunks of cars.
Pretty much end of story :) I have played 16x22's and really liked them but 14" is so much easier to deal with loading in and out. I recorded on a 18x22 or maybe it was a 24 don't remember now and it was ok but they had a big port and lots of muffling so really defeated the purpose.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
For playing out, and recording, I would go with the 14x22.as others have said and agree, the lug factor of an 18x22 can be an issue.
For a kit to be played at home obviously whatever suits your fancy, both sizes sound good, maybe the 18 would give more volume.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beer can kick drums are a fad.

There......I said it before anyone else does!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I had an 18x20. It really pushes the sound too far from my ears. Then there is the added bulk of hauling an extra 4 inches around for no good reason!

As said above 14" depth is plenty deep!

drumfx

Reaction score
14's have always been better by far IMO. Although i had a 12 x 22 WFL BD that was out of this world.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
INDeDrum said:
14x22 is more punchy. More depth = more muddiness. And not fitting through doorways or in trunks of cars.
I think this is an over simplification. I've played lots of 22 inch bass drums of different depths. 22x14, 22x16, 22x18, and 22x20. Each had their own thing, but all sounded very similar and tuned equally well through the same range.

A shallower drum is quieter and has a slightly shorter decay - the shorter decay may or may not be noticeable to the human ear. As you go deeper, mostly the drum gets louder, which mean you don't need to work as hard in situations that require more volume. Contrary to what a lot of people claim, I don't notice a difference in sonic speed and clarity with a deeper bass drum. If we are talking really deep bass drums and bass drums of much larger diameters, then one will notice. But the difference in speed and clarity between 22x14, 22x16, and 22x18 is negligible to my ear and feet.

It's a lot nicer to move a 22x14 than a 22x18, for sure. For certain situations though, especially when I'm playing with loud, amplified instrumentalists and the drums are acoustic only, I prefer a deeper bass drum, like 22x16 or even 22x18. The deeper drum gets the sound out a little easier and with less effort from me, which means I can focus less on playing loud enough to be heard and more on the music.

For portability, I'm not a fan of 22 inch drums in general. Regardless of depth, the diameter alone is inconvenient to deal with. I prefer 20x14 or 20x16 as a general-purpose, all-around, more portable bass drum.

Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It has been said in this thread that 18x22 ("beer can") bass drums are a fad, but if so, then it's a 20-30 year long fad at this point. It's also done at the highest level. Standard size bass drums offerings on all manufacturers flagship kits have been 18x22 for most of this time. Why is that? Other than portability, what's the tradeoff? Is 18x22 really some kind of sweet spot? I find it somewhat difficult to believe that with all the R&D that manufacturers use, they would just arbitrarily decide to standardize on a size that is just 4" too long/deep for no reason.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Only ONE 18x22 ever sounded great that I've owned, but most of the 14x22's have been good or great. The 14" depth is punchier, louder and faster, but won't tune as low.

The best 14x22's I've had would be a tie between the Pearl fiberglass and Rogers XP8. For 18x22, easily the Tama Superstar classic. I love that drum. The Pearl, meanwhile, is the loudest bass drum in the lot.

That said, it is more difficult to get a modern, deep and fat tone with lots of attack on a 14x22, at least the ones I've tried.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
TDM said:
A shallower drum is quieter and has a slightly shorter decay - the shorter decay may or may not be noticeable to the human ear. As you go deeper, mostly the drum gets louder, which mean you don't need to work as hard in situations that require more volume.
Different experience here.
If you want the deeper drum to sound full, you need to hit hard. You also get more low end, but only above a certain threshold. Quiet gigs/effortless sound? Shallower bass drum for me.

The decay time thing: in my experience, when you tune a drum up with two complete heads and no muffling, think marching bass drum, the shallower drum will have a longer decay time. at least when played softly.

Alan_

Reaction score
I like shallower bass drums. In my experience, deeper bass drums sound and feel less punchy/lively.

All 4 I own are 14" deep (24", 2x22", 20") but I play backline kits from time to time, and bass drums that come with most newer kits out there are at least 16" deep.

If one completely deadened the drum and tuned JAW, I'm not sure the difference would be nearly as noticeable.

debotcher

Reaction score
I think it may also have something to do with the quality of the drum/bearing edges. I have 2 Sonor 22x18s, a Phonic & a Delite. These are high end drums & are the best sounding bass drums I've ever had.
I have no real preference on the depth either way, sound being the deciding factor. When I compare my 22x14 Sonor Phonic to my 22x18, the deeper one sounds a little "fuller". I notice very little difference in response.
Perhaps, and this is only speculation, a mid - lower line of drum would show a bigger difference between the 2 depths.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I have a 16x20 that is killer, but I wouldn't go deeper than that. Hands down the 2 best bass drums I have ever owned and played are both Rogers - a 14x20 and 14x22. The "desert island" bass drum would most definitely be that 14x20. It was perfect.