19" Armand Zildjian "Beautiful Baby" ride

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting one more cymbal. I do NOT need anything else but......still thinking about this one ride.

Do any of you have one of these 19" cymbals?

Thanks in advance.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love mine, I've used it just by itself and also another crash and ride. Sounds great loud or just with brushes. Pretty versatile cymbal IMHO.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I haven't got one, but I had a chance to play on one a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly suprised. It wasn't as bright in person as I've been lead to believe from sound files. And the rivets are indeed like rain on the rooftop. I suspect it would record really well.

This is from a vintage/boutique cymbal guy whose Zildjians are all 1950s.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Mine didn't do anything for me. IIRC, it was thin & without a whole lot of distinctive character. Was nice-looking, & I liked the rivet cluster, but I liked my older A's better. My 2c......marko

Greaser

Reaction score
I have a whole set of Armand's and the Beautiful Baby is one of my top 3 go-to rides. I love it and find it versatile enough to use in the studio for multiple applications. I will disclose this though, it was hand picked out of quite a few by an endorsee for me at their headquarters, so I'm not sure just how different they may very in character from one cymbal to the next....

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the 20" and 21" versions, and they're amazing. I don't care for rivets, but I was contemplating this ride and still am...

R

RickP

I had one and sold it, the particular one I sold had a gongy undertone that was very annoying and overpowered the stick articulation. I have played others that were much nicer. I would recommend you play one in person or get sound files before buying one of these.

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it's a very versatile crash/ride. I've had mine for years and gigged it for around 4. Can't seem to get rid of it. Just a great med to med thin ride w/ a classic/modern A Zildjian sound. If one doesn't sound great, another will.

4onthefloor

Reaction score
The beautiful baby ride is my favorite cymbal. I use it with rock, jazz, everything. it is great for filling in empty space and as a crash in rock gigs. And for jazz it has a great cymbal. I do not like using it by itself but for me at least next to another ride it is a must have. Anytime I play a show where there are other drummers after the show they always come up to check and out and compliment it. Also every musician I have ever played with talks about how much they love it drummer or not.

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DSCN0964.JPG

I got one yesterday at Pro Drum in Hollywood. I took in my Armand 18" and 20" to see how the 19" fit in. Very nice! I think it will be a nice crash/ride.

jdc

Reaction score
very nice! i just picked one up recently and i really, really like it. i've only taken it out on one gig so far but it fits nicely into things. it kind of has an late art taylor vibe to it.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any later experience with these. From where I sit I love mine but I get reports from people out front that it’s too loud. All my other LSR’s are too washy on the gig. Any thoughts? It’s a regular guitar led jazz quintet doing Benson/Montgomery material. It’s not a quiet band. Tape maybe? I’m using Regal Tip E series Jazz sticks. They are about as lightweight as I can go.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one. I would never have bought it based on a description (not really an "A" guy), and it wasn't on my radar when a friend brought me down to the Zildjian factory. But I played it and had to buy it. Still love it. Bonus: KILLER bell.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting one more cymbal. I do NOT need anything else but......still thinking about this one ride.

Do any of you have one of these 19" cymbals?

Thanks in advance.
I had one and sold it when I switched over to Dream Bliss as my primary cymbals and Soultone as my secondary preferences. Still, of all of the Zildjians (the brand to which I was loyal before the switch - since 1964), and even the Dream and Soultones, the Beautiful Baby was the only cymbal that should have been a keeper. I do not have seller's remorse, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss it. That's saying a lot because I've owned literally hundreds of Zildjian A, K and Istanbul pies in my 70 years of life and the Beautiful Baby is one of less than five of that brand that I dearly loved.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like someone said... it can be hit or miss with these. I've found the weights to be all over the place but maybe things have gotten more consistent overall with Z.

Latest posts