1910-teens? 4x13.5 Frisco Snare Drum (M. J. Kochman & Co. San Francisco)

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hello fellow Forumites,
Here's one that I got from a private collector just before the 2011 Chicago Show. I love these old "shelfers"...just as long as all of the parts are there.

1910-teens? 4x13.5 Frisco Snare Drum (M. J. Kochman & Co. San Francisco)
And that about tells you the extent of my knowledge about this drum. I have hundreds of old drum catalogs and all that I have found (via Google) is that the M. J. Kochman & Co. of San Francisco made goose call boxes. So I invite you to weigh in and send me some information about the M. J. Kochman & Co. of San Francisco and this Frisco snare drum.

The shell looks like solid mahogany with maple hoops, I especially like the FRISCO stamp on the top hoop. There is a metal ring around the center of the shell with eyelets that receive 20 claws and 20 nuts for the top and bottom tensioning. The center ring also has a nice FRISCO stamp along with the M. J. Kochman & Co. of San Francisco stamp. The drum was missing one claw and one nut so a special thanks goes to my machinist Abe Abello (Weld-Tec Redwood City, CA) for reproducing a claw and nut. This guy is worth his weight in gold, you cannot tell the repro from the original! A special thanks also goes out to Bill Wanser for tucking/mounting a 13.5 batter head and wiring up the gut for me. The strainer is a Stone strainer (Pat. Feb. 9, 1909). A little lemon oil brought some life back to the shell.

Enjoy.

Mike Curotto

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,

Sometimes you can find something in City Directories, no luck for Kochman for years 1910,1915,1920.

SF City Directories -- plus a lot of other stuff -- are here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~npmelton/sfc.html

Thanks for the pics and history Mike,

Patrick

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
very cool looking drum with the way the metal band goes around it. do the lugs go all of the way through the shell or just the metal band that goes around the drum.

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
very cool looking drum with the way the metal band goes around it. do the lugs go all of the way through the shell or just the metal band that goes around the drum.
To be honest, I don't remember...I vaguely remember that the lugs (balls) went through the shell.

Mike Curotto

Latest posts