1911-12 4x14, 5x14, 6.5x14 nob Ludwig & Ludwig Standard Models...I take requests.

curotto

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our member Bonzo60 asked me to post this so here you go...

I decided to keep the restoration/preservation of these 3 drums to a minimum, a "soft" cleaning/restoration as we call it.

1911-12 4x14, 5x14, 6.5x14 nob Ludwig & Ludwig Standard Models

Shells/Hardware:
The drums were in very good shape given the fact that they are pushing 100, (we should all hope to look this good at 100 yrs.old!). I used Simple Green to clean the years of schmutz that accumulated on the shells and hardware. All of you know that Iconstantly preach: "rust does not sleep"...so any rust was handled by my trusty Dremel tool, soft steel brushes and 0000 steelwool (note to the Purists: don't get your undies in a bunch, no damage was done to the hardware with the 0000 steel wool). The 4x14 came to me missing the top rim so I had to have one fabricated. My machinist Abe Abello came through once again,notice how he nailed the "ears". If I hadn't pointed this out to you the top rim would have passed easily, that's how good Abe is!A thanks also goes to Les and Brian at Avenue Plating for the nickel plating.

Badges: The 5x14 and 6.5x14 both have the round Ludwig & Ludwig badge that has the center hole to attach the flip down strainer. The 4x14 has the "dog tag" badge that sits right below the hole to attach the flip down strainer. I'm thinking that the "dog tag" badge came first followed by the round Ludwig & Ludwig badge. What do you think? Calf heads and original gut/silk wound wires rounded out these restorations.

Enjoy!

Mike Curotto

Attachments

bonzo60

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, they look gorgeous!
I'm curious since there's no center bead, is there any reenforcing of the shell on the interior? Is the bearing edge folded back and soldered?

curotto

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Bonzo,
Here's what the L & L catalog of that era says: "Therefore the Ludwig All-Metal Drum is built of 18 guage seamless hard spun brass, making a very solid shell. Instead of merely turning over the stock at the edges, as in drums of frailer construction, the shell is strongly reinforced with rims of quarter-round neatly soldered on to the shell..."