1920-30's Ludwig snare -rim help please

Brien B

Reaction score
All, I'm new to the forum and need some direction from the experts.
Back in the 80's I was a jobbing drummer and a snare drum collector. After 25 years of them sitting in cases I'm pulling them all out, cleaning them up with the hopes one of my grandkids will pick up drumming and I can ultimately pass them down.

One of my drums is a 1920-30 Ludwig brass snare. I bought it cheap, ripped off the original rims and put new style rims and heads on it. The drum was perfect, not over powering and with a great tone.

Now I decided I'd like to get it back to as close to original as possible, and of course I was a stupid kid and didn't keep the original rims. I came across someone locally who had these types of rims, but they are Slingerland and he has both brass and steel.

Anyone have a recommendation which I should put on? should there be any difference between the Ludwig and Slingerland rims? Is there any suggestions of places I can find original parts?

Appreciate the help

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try Drumfactorydirect for single and double flange hoops. I think they have both COB and COS. They would not be original Ludwig, though. Also, you need the clips to hold the rims down. For original parts, be prepared to pay an arm and/or leg on eBay, Reverb, maybe here (post in the Wanted section) and/or various other online drum sites/forums/FB pages.

I have a 20's Ludwig I restored - as much as I like the old look, I don't like the clip style rims. I found 8 original era lugs, I had the original throw/butt from the original snare, and bought a vintage oval brass badge. For the tension rods, I aged new ones to make them look like nickel to match the other hardware. For the rims, I bought COS stick chopper rims (I think Ludwig started these in the 1940's so wrong era), but they were generic & shiny chrome. I was able to age them to also look like nickel and added some black to them (like tarnish) using a sharpie. They look great as does the drum. But I still haven't put the badge on yet.....

Brien B

Reaction score
Try Drumfactorydirect for single and double flange hoops. I think they have both COB and COS. They would not be original Ludwig, though. Also, you need the clips to hold the rims down. For original parts, be prepared to pay an arm and/or leg on eBay, Reverb, maybe here (post in the Wanted section) and/or various other online drum sites/forums/FB pages.

I have a 20's Ludwig I restored - as much as I like the old look, I don't like the clip style rims. I found 8 original era lugs, I had the original throw/butt from the original snare, and bought a vintage oval brass badge. For the tension rods, I aged new ones to make them look like nickel to match the other hardware. For the rims, I bought COS stick chopper rims (I think Ludwig started these in the 1940's so wrong era), but they were generic & shiny chrome. I was able to age them to also look like nickel and added some black to them (like tarnish) using a sharpie. They look great as does the drum. But I still haven't put the badge on yet.....

Thanks for the tip!!

Brien B

Reaction score
As a followup, I ended up buying the metal rims and clips, but I found some of the original clips in my trap case and believe I may have boxed the original rims away a couple moves ago, so I'm starting the hunt to find them.
I had NEVER cleaned this drum from the day I got it, and it was all crudded up, so I stripped it down to the shell, cleaned the parts in vinegar, and then cleaned with MetAll cleaner/polish and then a chrome polish.
I'm not sure but it actually looks like this drum may be chrome. It was an upcharge in 1930 when they manufactured this one (based on the strainer and online catalogs of the time) curious what others think.

I think it turned out GREAT! I wish I would have done this when I was playing in my 20's- but as I said, I wasn't the sharpest tack on the wall :)

20190203_092609.jpg 20190203_092612.jpg 20190203_094804.jpg 20190223_064255.jpg