1920s 5x14 Ludwig Universal NOB 2-piece

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Offering this 1920s Nickel Over Brass Ludwig Universal snare drum. 6 lugs. Appears to be a 2 piece shell. This is 5x14, not the (seemingly) more common 4x14.
Calf skin batter head. Ludwig snare side - (vintage?) Rogers wires - someone used as a best replacement of the original 12 stands of wires.
Notice the condition:
Brass showing through the nickel finish (seems I have seen nickel do this when it ages)
Considerable wear on the hoops
There is a dent in the shell directly under the (vent?) hole.
Hoop clips are new - Nickel
The post to adjust wires has a slight bend to it, but it is so slight it is hard to capture in a pic - still works just fine.

That said, this appears to be in good condition, totally functional / playable and is a good candidate for complete restoration. OR - leave as is, which is what some owners do.

My research indicates that restored, this drum is worth $400-500.
Asking $333.
...plus shipping from 49285.

Attachments

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool drum, how does it sound?
Or have you not had a chance to dial it in?

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool drum, how does it sound?
Or have you not had a chance to dial it in?
With the current heads and wires on it, I can't really tune it how I like to tune it. I am not very experienced with Calfskin heads and did not want to crank it up higher like I prefer. That said - I did play it.....had quite a bit of body to it, and indeed had alot of ring / resonance. It is clearly metal snare! I have read that these old brass Luddys from this era can have a good clear, crisp attack too (but that is probably with a modern coated Amb or something). I did not spend alot of time trying to tune it in at all.
Calfskins......not my thing.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
THIS IS NOT MY DRUM - though I wanted to know myself what potential this drum has......wow - I had no idea.....

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Friday BUMP. BTW - dent that I pointed out does not effect tuning and the edge is still round.
I would bump it out if I decided to dig into this drum, but I decided to sell as is.

gkrk

Reaction score
Are the inner edges of the bearing edge fold overs welded to the inside of the shell?

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will have to let you know in a couple days when I can dig into it - cramming for a very important meeting with my tax adviser for the next 48 hrs.

gkrk

Reaction score
I will have to let you know in a couple days when I can dig into it - cramming for a very important meeting with my tax adviser for the next 48 hrs.
No rush! Taxes are distractors and time consumers.

Jeremy

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are the inner edges of the bearing edge fold overs welded to the inside of the shell?
No, insides of the edges are not welded. Here are some pics. Another showing the seam of the two pieces as well.

Attachments

gkrk

Reaction score
No, insides of the edges are not welded. Here are some pics. Another showing the seam of the two pieces as well.
Thank you for the photos. I tend to think of the two piece shells as having the welded back edges. But it's good to keep learning!

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
High 2s?

I am choosing not to do anything with this drum because
1) Some prefer it NOT to be polished
2) If I were to polish it up and install new heads - I would certainly have to ask more. So, I chose not to - to help someone get into it for less. I always prefer this when I am looking to buy.

Latest posts