1920's Black Beauty

Reaction score
OK, I know this is a long shot but what the heck...

I would like to trade my 5.5 1920's BB for a 1920's 6.5 BB.
Here's the deal.

I have a 1920's 5.5x14 10 lug Black Beauty it is a classic "players condition" (or maybe a small upgrade from that.) No extra holes or modifications, I did have to use a "non-gold" piece on the strainer, (you can see the silver knob below.) That's the only non-original part. Almost all of these 100 yearly drums have, as does mine, have a few small dents, I can provide pictures of the drum (as many as you want.)

I guess I would grade it somewhere between players and collectors grade.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0171.JPG

I really love this drum (it needs to be cleaned though,) but I play 6.5" snares more often, so if there is anyone out there with a 1920's 10 Lug 6.5 depth who would rather have a 5.5, maybe we could work out a trade. I am looking for a 6.5 in similar condition.

I AM NOT LOOKING TO TRADE OR SELL THIS DRUM FOR ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!
(Unless you have a few of Tony's old K's or Porcaro's Brady kit just lying around, HA!)

I am just looking for a 5.5 BB for 6.5 BB trade. I would consider an eight lug BB as well, but I do already have a Ludwig 6.5 two piece NOB (Black Beauty without the black) already (same sound,) so this is really just an aesthetic and size change for the BB.

If, by some chance, there is someone out there who is interested, I also think we should each ship our drums in cases (to avoid the potential of disaster.) For obvious reasons, I am not really willing to deal with unknown members or people on this. Everyone here knows me, I am not trying to scam someone, nor will I be scammed.

Anyway..... PM me.
Mark

Last edited:

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, I know this is a long shot but what the heck...

I would like to trade my 5.5 1920's BB for a 1920's 6.5 BB.
Here's the deal.

I have a 1920's 5.5x14 10 lug Black Beauty it is a classic "players condition" (or maybe a small upgrade from that.) No extra holes or modifications, I did have to use a "non-gold" piece on the strainer, (you can see the silver knob below.) That's the only non-original part. Almost all of these 100 yearly drums have, as does mine, have a few small dents, I can provide pictures of the drum (as many as you want.)

I guess I would grade it somewhere between players and collectors grade.

View attachment 445984

View attachment 445971

I really love this drum (it needs to be cleaned though,) but I play 6.5" snares more often, so if there is anyone out there with a 1920's 10 Lug 6.5 depth who would rather have a 5.5, maybe we could work out a trade. I am looking for a 6.5 in similar condition.

I AM NOT LOOKING TO TRADE OR SELL THIS DRUM FOR ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!
(Unless you have a few of Tony's old K's or Porcaro's Brady kit just lying around, HA!)

I am just looking for a 5.5 BB for 6.5 BB trade. I would consider an eight lug BB as well, but I do already have a Ludwig 6.5 two piece NOB (Black Beauty without the black) already (same sound,) so this is really just an aesthetic and size change for the BB.

If, by some chance, there is someone out there who is interested, I also think we should each ship our drums in cases (to avoid the potential of disaster.) For obvious reasons, I am not really willing to deal with unknown members or people on this. Everyone here knows me, I am not trying to scam someone, nor will I be scammed.

Anyway..... PM me.
Mark
A word to the wise. The 6.5” Black Beauties are much more rare than the 5” (or 4”) so they have appreciated much more in value. Lately, they have fetched $1500-3000 Premium over the 5”, all things being equal. As such, a direct trade would not likely be considered.

Bob

Reaction score
Thanks for the "help" Rich.

Bob,
Yes I know 6.5's are more valuable-rare, if someone is really interested we can work that out. I never said anything about "direct (even-up) trade." Like I said, a loooong shot, but what the hell.

I'm not trying to get over on anyone, I just thought there might be someone out there in a similar position as me.

Are you saying that the 6.5's are 1500 to 3000 more (above) than the 5's? The very few 5's that I have seen (semi-recently) have all been roughly between 1200 and 3000. So to be clear, are you saying that 6.5's are 2700 to 6000? If so? WOW! (I'll stick with my 6.5 NOB and my 5" ((NOT 5.5")) BB.)

Either way, I am seeing many less of any of them for sale in the last few years. Again, worth a shot.

First world problems, I know.
MSG

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the "help" Rich.

Bob,
Yes I know 6.5's are more valuable-rare, if someone is really interested we can work that out. I never said anything about "direct (even-up) trade." Like I said, a loooong shot, but what the hell.

I'm not trying to get over on anyone, I just thought there might be someone out there in a similar position as me.

Are you saying that the 6.5's are 1500 to 3000 more (above) than the 5's? The very few 5's that I have seen (semi-recently) have all been roughly between 1200 and 3000. So to be clear, are you saying that 6.5's are 2700 to 6000? If so? WOW! (I'll stick with my 6.5 NOB and my 5" ((NOT 5.5")) BB.)

Either way, I am seeing many less of any of them for sale in the last few years. Again, worth a shot.

First world problems, I know.
MSG
I certainly wasn't sure what you were implying, but just wanted to be sure you were aware. I have a sizable collection of vintage Black Beauties. The 6.5" have been extremely difficult to find, especially in very good or better condition. I recently sold three duplicate Black Beauties (1920's scroll, 4" and 5") for between $2500-3300, based on condition. On average, the 6.5 have been going for about $4,000-$4500. However, I have seen some sell for up to $6,000 as they were in excellent condition. Just trying to share my experience, not make any judgements. I wish you the best.

Latest posts