1920's Leedy

BobinTx

Reaction score
In the early 1970's my dad bought me a drum set for $50 from a bar owner on his delivery route in Philadelphia. I was 10 at the time and played off and on for a few years. I moved to Dallas after college and brought the kit with me. Its sat in the attic since 1982. I recently retired form my job after 38 years and was cleaning out the attic so I brought it down and set it up in the garage. It obviously needs a little TLC. I think the base is a 1920s Leedy (it does have the light kit inside the base) and the snare appears to be possibly from the 40's. The two 12-inch Zildjian cymbals on the high hat also appear to be from the 40's. The third cymbal I believe is a Leedys "Sizzle". I also have the original case which appears to be from the 20's. It looks like Im missing the upper tube to the high hat. (It may have fallen out in the attic...still looking)

I haven't actively played drums since I was a kid and at this point I'm just looking for direction as to if this kit is something that would be worthwhile for me to pursue restoring and if so, any advice where I might begin the process of doing that? Somewhere in Texas is preferred. If not, if someone could recommend an appraiser that could give me an idea of the "as is" price, i would appreciate that also.

Thanks for any help. - Bob

Attachments

• Drums80.jpg
    Drums80.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Drums90.jpg
    Drums90.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Drums12.jpg
    Drums12.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Drums111.jpg
    Drums111.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Drums140.jpg
    Drums140.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Drums160.jpg
    Drums160.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 82

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we all want to know what's under the red 'wrap'?

Looks like someone got creative with the leftover wallpaper from the dining room! The bass drum looks like black paint finish underneath, maybe the finish is okay and they just wanted to match the walls in the bar or something.

I’m gonna guess those two 12” cymbals are a pair of sock hats or hi hats…. Pretty cool pair anyway. Nice wood block/bell mount too.

Awesome rediscovery, must’ve brought back a lot of memories when you unearthed it. Love the bass drum head.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Broadcaster snare has the '49-50 Elkhart badge. Any identifying stamps on the hi hat cymbals?

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Broadcaster snare has the '49-50 Elkhart badge. Any identifying stamps on the hi hat cymbals?
Think it's a Broadcaster and not a regular Broadway?

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 15-20 Leedy Elkhart era Broadways but no Broadcasters. New to me if it is a Broadcaster.

BobinTx

Reaction score

Yes...attached. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• drums62.jpg
    drums62.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 27
  • drums72.jpg
    drums72.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 28

BobinTx

Reaction score
Looks like someone got creative with the leftover wallpaper from the dining room! The bass drum looks like black paint finish underneath, maybe the finish is okay and they just wanted to match the walls in the bar or something.

I’m gonna guess those two 12” cymbals are a pair of sock hats or hi hats…. Pretty cool pair anyway. Nice wood block/bell mount too.

Awesome rediscovery, must’ve brought back a lot of memories when you unearthed it. Love the bass drum head.

Yes. Lots of memories. My dad delivered it to my Catholic School for the 8th grade talent show and a few of the Nuns got into an argument with him about bringing it into the building with a "naked woman" on the front. They made me cover it with a blanket for the show. lol