1920's Ludwig & Ludwig 6-1/2 x 14" Black Beauty

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My latest acquisition is this gorgeous 6-1/2 x 14" model 2C Ludwig & Ludwig Black Beauty snare drum. Back in the 1980's, when I first heard about the Ludwig Black Beauties, I thought they were exquisitely rare, along with Gladstone drums, etc. With the advent of e-bay and the internet in the 1990's, these drums came out of the woodwork, and in many ways, they have become quite common in the vintage drum market.

4 x 14", and 5 x 14" models over time have been numerous, but the larger 6-1/2 x 14" are much, much rarer, with the majority being " SUPER " or " SUPER SENSITIVE " models. The models with the pioneer strainers, I think, are a little more unusual.

Also, it seems that earlier Black Beauties were only available in eight lug versions with simple pioneer strainers.

The catalog page that I have copied, is out of the 1923-24 Ludwig & Ludwig factory catalog. It shows the BB drums as only being available in the eight lug model, and the only strainer was the pioneer model.

I am not an expert on these drums, guys like Mike Curotto and John Aldridge, know way more about these things than I do. I would love to hear your opinion on exactly how old this drum is....

Attachments

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
My latest acquisition is this gorgeous 6-1/2 x 14" model 2C Ludwig & Ludwig Black Beauty snare drum. Back in the 1980's, when I first heard about the Ludwig Black Beauties, I thought they were exquisitely rare, along with Gladstone drums, etc. With the advent of e-bay and the internet in the 1990's, these drums came out of the woodwork, and in many ways, they have become quite common in the vintage drum market.

4 x 14", and 5 x 14" models over time have been numerous, but the larger 6-1/2 x 14" are much, much rarer, with the majority being " SUPER " or " SUPER SENSITIVE " models. The models with the pioneer strainers, I think, are a little more unusual.

Also, it seems that earlier Black Beauties were only available in eight lug versions with simple pioneer strainers.

The catalog page that I have copied, is out of the 1923-24 Ludwig & Ludwig factory catalog. It shows the BB drums as only being available in the eight lug model, and the only strainer was the pioneer model.

I am not an expert on these drums, guys like Mike Curotto and John Aldridge, know way more about these things than I do. I would love to hear your opinion on exactly how old this drum is....
Nice looking drum , most 8 luggers are pretty worn...has yours been restored, is the hardware original? You need to get the correct strainer on that drum...if you can only find a nob P-338 then I can have it copper plated and gold lacquered to match your hardware...feel free to contact me at: mike@curottodrums.com

Mike Curotto

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello Mike, I don't have a source for those older pioneer strainers. This drum really hasn't seen a whole lot of use, the hardware and the black nickel shell do not exhibit the typical amount of wear usually found on these older scroll style BB's.

Attachments

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice

id be afraid to play it

check out the single attached snare wires

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hello Mike, I don't have a source for those older pioneer strainers. This drum really hasn't seen a whole lot of use, the hardware and the black nickel shell do not exhibit the typical amount of wear usually found on these older scroll style BB's.
Ah, bummer on the extra holes...didn't notice that before, unbelievable that a previous owner put that strainer on...IMHO this was not a smart move...ok come to present time, fortunately the correct strainer will cover the extra holes. 1. The holes can be plugged with minor damage to the black nickel finish and any discoloration should be hidden by the correct strainer or you can get 2 brass 4-40 screws, darken them to blend in with the shell and live with it that way...either way the good news is that they will be covered by the correct strainer.... 2. You will need a P-338 (plus attachment screws/washers/nuts) that will have to be copper plated and gold lacquered to match the existing hardware. I do this restoration all the time so I can get your extra holes plugged or attach matching screws to the shell, I can supply the P-338/attachment hardware with copper plating and the gold lacquer would be done by me....My opinion is that the drum is worth correcting as we don't see 8 lugger DeLuxes in that good of shape....All this will bring your drum up to where it should be if you ever want to sell it plus it will look right! As is with 2 extra holes (-200.00 to -300.00) and missing the correct Artgold P-338 strainer (-300.00) you are looking at a 500.00-600.00 minus on your drum. If you want to pursue this feel free to contact me at: mike@curottodrums.com or 650-595-2022 PST.

If I didn't do this type of work or you were to choose someone else my vote would still be to have the restoration done.

Good luck, you have a great specimen of a drum!

Mike Curotto

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
That drum is a beauty!

Mike, is that the WAY the "C" was done in "Chicago" just under the Ludwig logo? It looks a bit odd and at first glance I thought it was an "L" and possibly a mistake.

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
That drum is a beauty!

Mike, is that the WAY the "C" was done in "Chicago" just under the Ludwig logo? It looks a bit odd and at first glance I thought it was an "L" and possibly a mistake.
Hi Dolfan,
Good eyes! That's a nice little artifact on that drum. Anything could have happened, John Aldridge told me that L&L used 3-4 engravers so we have different "hands" here...As a comparison I've attached photos of my two 8 lug DeLuxes, as you can see both drums have different engraving...notice that one drum has the "Ludwig Chicago" in the bottom panel ala "Monday morning at the office"...

Mike Curotto

Attachments

nonagon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That drum is in remarkable condition! :occasion5:

If it were mine, I'd replace the strainer with the correct version as Mike C. suggested. Your drum, by, the way, if it is anything like my 20s 2-piece 6.5" 8 lugger, sounds phenomenal and records like a champ. I have narrow PureSounds instead of those gut cables.

Are you going to gig it? I'd be a bit afraid to gig out such a clean specimen as that.