1920s Ludwig snare. Best throw off upgrade?

scottsy

Reaction score
First time posting.

I have a 1920's Ludwig Snare. The 4x15" "Concert Dance" Model. It has the original hardware, which is great. The snare throw off is the "Tango" Throw off, which is attached to the hoop and not the shell. Good thing: Shell doesn't have a bunch of drilled holes in it. Bad thing: Shell doesn't have any holes in it at all, so I'm going to have to drill into this relic if I want to upgrade.

What recommendations do you have for replacement/upgrade options on this? I want make an informed decision before I make any permanent changes to the shell...

Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
I don't have any exact strainer advice for you, but...

I have that same drum (but with a normal strainer,) and I searched for a long time for regular triple flange hoops (because the straight hoops chewed up sticks and brushes, and that drove me NUTS!) After a loooong search (MANY years,) I found some hoops and now use the drum MUCH more and really love it.

Granted I didn't have to drill any new holes, but (here is my answer) drilling a few holes to make the drum much more usable and functional is a no brainer for me. Just do a good job on the work (ESPECIALLY if it is a 2 piece shell!) or have a pro do it.

You can tell if it's a two piece shell by if the top and bottom bearing edges are soldered closed chambers, and if you can feel a seam at the bead.

There will be some here that will tell you exactly the opposite (which is fine!) But (personally) I always go with functionality and usability over "keeping things original (and not functional.") It WILL hurt the resale value, but I never buy a drum thinking about resale (I only buy drums I LOVE!)

So if resale isn't a consideration, and playing the drum is, I think someone (maybe Gibraltar) makes a modern version of this vintage Ludwig strainer, which is what mine has (the Ludwig not the Gibraltar.)

IMG_1156.JPG

You could probably also get a vintage Ludwig strainer (like is on my drum) and sort of split the difference. You's have to drill a few holes, but you would be keeping it "semi-original" and making it more usable.

I have also found that tuning this drum low in the Memphis Fat Back Al Jackson range is perfect for this specific 6 lug drum.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!
MSG

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time posting.

I have a 1920's Ludwig Snare. The 4x15" "Concert Dance" Model. It has the original hardware, which is great. The snare throw off is the "Tango" Throw off, which is attached to the hoop and not the shell. Good thing: Shell doesn't have a bunch of drilled holes in it. Bad thing: Shell doesn't have any holes in it at all, so I'm going to have to drill into this relic if I want to upgrade.

What recommendations do you have for replacement/upgrade options on this? I want make an informed decision before I make any permanent changes to the shell...

Thanks!
Is it possible that a creative and resourceful drum repair guy like Jack Lawton or Chris Heuer could get a modern strainer to work without drilling ?

it might cost more tho. Forget might. It will.

scottsy

Reaction score
I don't have any exact strainer advice for you, but...

I have that same drum (but with a normal strainer,) and I searched for a long time for regular triple flange hoops (because the straight hoops chewed up sticks and brushes, and that drove me NUTS!) After a loooong search (MANY years,) I found some hoops and now use the drum MUCH more and really love it.

Granted I didn't have to drill any new holes, but (here is my answer) drilling a few holes to make the drum much more usable and functional is a no brainer for me. Just do a good job on the work (ESPECIALLY if it is a 2 piece shell!) or have a pro do it.

You can tell if it's a two piece shell by if the top and bottom bearing edges are soldered closed chambers, and if you can feel a seam at the bead.

There will be some here that will tell you exactly the opposite (which is fine!) But (personally) I always go with functionality and usability over "keeping things original (and not functional.") It WILL hurt the resale value, but I never buy a drum thinking about resale (I only buy drums I LOVE!)

So if resale isn't a consideration, and playing the drum is, I think someone (maybe Gibraltar) makes a modern version of this vintage Ludwig strainer, which is what mine has (the Ludwig not the Gibraltar.)

View attachment 452914

You could probably also get a vintage Ludwig strainer (like is on my drum) and sort of split the difference. You's have to drill a few holes, but you would be keeping it "semi-original" and making it more usable.

I have also found that tuning this drum low in the Memphis Fat Back Al Jackson range is perfect for this specific 6 lug drum.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!
MSG
That's a great idea with the hoops, though I think I'll stick with the originals. I'm not planning to do lots of rim shots and will be mostly trying to record with this one, so I'm not too worried about it chewing up sticks. Function is much more important to me here, though I would like for a new throw to "feel" right on the drum. I will look into the options you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendations!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Scotty, please dont drill any holes in that beauty! It survived almost 100 years without any.

Why dont you just take existing strainer apart, get rid of the rust, lube it well and put it back into service?

scottsy

Reaction score
Scotty, please dont drill any holes in that beauty! It survived almost 100 years without any.

Why dont you just take existing strainer apart, get rid of the rust, lube it well and put it back into service?
I feel you. I'm not 100% ready or wanting to drill holes in the shell either. The conundrum here is that the throw itself is more than just rusty. Its been bent around quite a bit prior to my ownership and likes to pop off its hinge. I'm not convinced its the type I should just replace with a copy either. The throw doesn't really go "off" enough to flip into snare off playing. I have to crank the tensioner to use it in off position, then of course crank it back up to use it on. Not super practical. Thoughts?

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Any reason you need the snares "off" at all? I only need that for one song in our set list, and I could easily just use the mounted tom instead. I would replace that throw with a copy that you dont have to drill any holes and just crank it up to get a nice snare sound.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
turn snares off for bass solos (and "other" things..) on stage; at home you don't want snares on 24/7 there's a myriad of reasons..

Does a Ludwig 'spert know If a P-85 will fit on a 4" beaded shell, well? for the OP..
P-85 are the common throw on 5" and above drums Op

"Where's a Ludwig 'spert when you need one.."

scottsy

Reaction score
turn snares off for bass solos (and "other" things..) on stage; at home you don't want snares on 24/7 there's a myriad of reasons..

Does a Ludwig 'spert know If a P-85 will fit on a 4" beaded shell, well? for the OP..
P-85 are the common throw on 5" and above drums Op

"Where's a Ludwig 'spert when you need one.."
Exactly on this. I'm one of those drummers who turns the snare off anytime I'm not actively playing. Drives me nuts at gigs to hear the singer's acoustic song ruined from snare rattle when their voice hits just the right note through the PA. And at home I don't like to hear the rattle when I'm cranking up the guitar amp either. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to look more into a p-85 and/or p-86. I'll keep digging, don't want to regret drilling into this beaut.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't want to regret drilling into this beaut.
thats' kindofa--old wives fallacy) the "harm" part;
heck the shell was drilled when New and no one "shed a tear" o boo hoo. Of course when mounting whichever you chose "don't screw it up" : )
I just know if a P-85 fits without "knocking" into the rims.

You need a Piccolo Strainer that can clear the center bead also
I see there's two holes in the bottom already

I'd look up Piccolo Strainers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's a beaut Wow..

clears the bead..hmm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going to have to take it to a store and in-person try every strainer they got and are willing to order in+ plus their expertise in assisting

Last edited:
Reactions: bob

scottsy

Reaction score
thats' kindofa--old wives fallacy) the "harm" part;
heck the shell was drilled when New and no one "shed a tear" o boo hoo. Of course when mounting whichever you chose "don't screw it up" : )
I just know if a P-85 fits without "knocking" into the rims.

You need a Piccolo Strainer that can clear the center bead also
I see there's two holes in the bottom already

I'd look up Piccolo Strainers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's a beaut Wow..

clears the bead..hmm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going to have to take it to a store and in-person try every strainer they got and are willing to order in+ plus their expertise in assisting
Fair point on not being too precious about it. Its still a drum and first and foremost I want it to be PLAYED and have it work for me. Still don't want to mess it up. I'll be very particular if I do go that route and make sure I do it right the first time.

Good idea on the piccolo strainers! I'll look into that as well.

In regards to the screws on the bottom, they're actually floating. When the throw is off, you can nearly spin the lower part around with the space it leaves. The screws are just to tighten the plate to the snares, not actually going into the shell at all. That said, I'm sure I won't "ruin" it, per se, even if I drill holes into it. I'd just rather not have extra accidental holes in there and want to change the throw only ONCE for my lifetime, at least.

Reactions: JDA

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Adapter plate.
You could also buy a cheap, no flange hoop or two and drill those. If you get creative you could probably attach a new strainer to the top hoop and then where the bottom of the strainer would usually attach/bolt to the shell, you could make some kind of little spacer our of wood or rubber that just sits against the shell. Since all of the pressure and tension will be pulling it down, you probably wouldn't need to actually fasten it on the bottom.

...just spit-ballin'...

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make an adapter plate, then use whatever you want for a strainer.
Yes - a rectangular piece that attaches to the top hoop via the two existing holes, and extends down past the bead. Could rest against the bead with some sort of padding on the back where it would touch the shell.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Make an adapter plate, then use whatever you want for a strainer.
Normally that would be my advice but his shell has no existing holes so there it nothing to attach an adapter plate to.