1920s Ludwig snare. Best throw off upgrade?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
In regards to the screws on the bottom, they're actually floating. When the throw is off, you can nearly spin the lower part around with the space it leaves. The screws are just to tighten the plate to the snares, not actually going into the shell at all. That said, I'm sure I won't "ruin" it, per se, even if I drill holes into it. I'd just rather not have extra accidental holes in there and want to change the throw only ONCE for my lifetime, at least.
& floating bottom two..

scottsy

Reaction score
Make an adapter plate, then use whatever you want for a strainer.
I'm not much of a metal fabricator, but I think you're right, this should be the way to go. I think if I can figure a way to make this work, Making it extend out from the hoop a bit then past the bead maybe? If its attached well enough at the hoop, it should be no problem for the other end to rest against the shell with a felt or rubber bumper.

I'm going to try this before buying anything new at least.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I have a 4x15 Ludwig heavy shell (late teens/early 20's). It has a newer strainer that had the mounting tabs turned in to match the original mounting holes on the drum. It was done like this when I bought it from Mike C. I also have a 5x14 heavy shell that had a bad strainer. I fabricated a small bracket to relocate the position of one of the mounting holes so that it accepts the p83/p85/p86. I installed the p86 on it.

Mike

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
P-85 or P-88 definitely will not fit a 4" shell.

I am usually a proponent for not drilling an old drum if at all possible. However, this is a 6 lug snare. How much is it really worth because I really don't know?

It would certainly be a much more usable drum with a better strainer on it. I have a P-80 and it fits over the bead of a Supra with room to spare. The clearance between the mounting ears is 5/8" so it if clears the bead on your shell I might just drill it and mount a P-80 and call it a day. I definitely would stick with a Ludwig strainer. At least with a P-80 you are "keeping it in the family". Putting a Pearl or any other maker's strainer is more likely to turn people off when it comes time to sell it.

Before doing this I would want to take the existing "tango" strainer apart and clean the rust off and fix any bent or loose parts that are keeping it from working as it should. If it still doesn't work for me I would then want to find out the value of the drum. This was a low end drum when it was made and may still be valued that way.

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
Although I think the Tango strainer is fine (maybe not for someone who flips strainer on/off a lot during gigs/playing, but who really does that much?)...the best remedy is to drill for period correct Ludwig Strainer. The modern p-80 is junk, overpriced, and its chrome. This is the one you'd want.
1595910135362.png