192X Ludwig Standard with a Muffler?

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I have an offer to buy this snare.
The seller said that the 3 holes are from a muffler, which he has.
I did not believe that the Ludwig Standard ever came with a muffler.

Any advice. This is a 10 lugger with solid maple shell.
Also is the price fair?

Thank you

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the price is a little high for a drum that's originality has definitely been compromised. One good thing is that the seller seems very forthcoming about condition and alterations. Another really good thing is that the work has been done by Chris Heuer, maybe more famous for his serious "tune ups" than his stone-cold restorations, but the man has skill. The drum will likely be eminently playable.

I'd love to own that drum and play it a lot. I'd be wantin' to pay about $500 for it. Yes, they are uncommon, but the alterations do cut down the collectability. The thing is, though, that if you enjoy playing the drum, that can be worth a lot!

I think the muffler was original. Ask Forum Mike Currotto about this. He probably even has the correct mounting screws for the muffler, and will know about the strainer. He sometimes will just appear when drums of this era are under discussion. If he doesn't show, p.m. him. Also, FWIK, that's Forum member Stretch's neck of the woods, and he might even know this drum.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps...given the age...the holes were for a light to tighten up the calf heads/dry them out.
I had a W/A (50s?) with electrical wiring...

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have no idea about those drums, but it certainly does look beautiful. If something like that really sounds good and can work well for contemporary music, I'd think it would be really cool to own...

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ken, I answered your latest PM to me, but maybe in a different conversation than you were expecting. Please look in your Conversations.