1930/40's K Zildgian 20" Sizzle Ride

baz1949

Reaction score
Hello Guys...Hello from across the water....I seriously did not know I had this cymbal it was with a load more "Crappy" ones that I was going through....I will tell you what I know....then would greatly appreciate your superior input...

It is a 20" Sizzle with a stamp mark I believe to be from maybe the 40's ...It has a "Split" above the logo and I think it was drilled to stop the split then "Converted " into a Sizzle....I really do not know if it is a genuine sizzle because part of the logo is obscured ....which i don't believe they would not do....She weighs in at 1560g....Also some slight cracks around the centre hole...but sounds great ...I am sure if some old "Jazzer" played it ...it would last for another 80 years....All in all a great find for me....Thanks Barry

Attachments

baz1949

Reaction score
No I believe not....There are four of them and they are all at different stages of "Cracking"....but would really appreciate some History of this particular brand of cymbal....If only she could tell her story

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zenstat's die stamp link

Looks like a 3A style K Istanbul stamp to me. That puts it in the 1950-1953 range. Very cool paper thin 20" ride/crash cymbal even with those cracks. Play it gently and it will last a long time. Google K Istanbul stamps or time line, etc. and you will run into more information and photos on these. This general style of stamped K Istanbuls run from the 1940's to 1970's. The "old stamps" from the 1950's and earlier are the most desired and sought after.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Brand? The brand was Zildjian from Turkey. An A Zildjian started in America in 1929 but the Zildjian in Turkey (what you have) began generationally around 1623. The made in USA Zildjian was a concurrent generation event beginning in 1929 to present, with the Turkish Zildjian (where yours came from) parallel producing from 1623 up until 1978..when phased out mostly due to legalities/legal basis.] (from 1929 to 1978 there were two zildjians (one in America and the founding one in Turkey) running concurrent

Last edited:

baz1949

Reaction score
Yep I appreciate that JDA...I should have re-phrased that mistake on my part....What I meant to say was the History of the "K" Brand...I have a 22" K Ride that I got back in the 90's ...It has been my "Go To " cymbal for the last ,,,nearly 30 years....Love it to bits....but never appreciated its "HISTORY"...Sorry for that....Baz

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes the Made in USA K has a different history than the Zildjian K made in Turkey. I gave you the history of K. And the tale of two continent Zildjian The "K" North-American began around 1975-1977.

Search " K Istanbul" on Reverb. Or on eBay search ("K Istanbul -constantinople") to see comparable to yours

Last edited:

Latest posts