1930 Ludwig & Ludwig New Era model snare drum

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone

I thought I'd share some photos of my latest restoration of a 1930 New Era model. These are pretty rare and only made for about a year. The model was never shown in catalogs.

This drum is 99% original but the two adjustment knobs for the extension levers are repros (thanks to Adrian Kirchler!). Apologies for the modern clear heads but I wanted the inner workings to be visible.

The earliest versions had hand engraved top hoops but by 1930, the name was stamped in the hoops.

Apparently, the Ludwig & Ludwig New Era went over like a lead balloon with drummers of the early Depression years and the model was soon discontinued.

curotto

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another classic restoration of a classic snare drum!

Mike Curotto

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really, really nice job, congrats.

For me personally, I cant play any snare that uses the tension clips over the hoops because I play 1960s Surf Music with a TON of fast Rim Shot rolls, and the first time your stick hits one of those clips, you mess up the roll!!

curotto

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
retrosonic said:

For me personally, I cant play any snare that uses the tension clips over the hoops because I play 1960s Surf Music with a TON of fast Rim Shot rolls, and the first time your stick hits one of those clips, you mess up the roll!!
Those type of drums are, in my opinion, strictly museum pieces, forget about the collar hooks, if you do back beats that top mechanism would crap out real quick.

Mike Curotto

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hey, Mark,
Beautiful job on a snare I've never seen before. I appreciate the clear heads so I could see exactly how this rare piece of percussion history was actually constructed. It looks to me like Ludwig & Ludwig was way ahead of their time with this model.
Out of curiosity, what was the retail price of this drum in 1930? Was a high cost the reason it was not well-accepted by drummers of the era or was it something else?
How does it sound? What condition was it in when you got it?
Thanks for sharing the photos and a bit of its history. I learn something new every time I log into this forum.
Tom

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did that drum come from a seller out by Ord Nebraska?

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments. The drum came to me from my good friend Larry Matthews. We did some good old fashioned "horse trading"! As far as the sound, I may attempt to record a video of it (if possible- I am low tech)-just for fun. Most likely, it would work well with brushes and calf heads. As Mike C pointed out, you can't exactly "rock out" on this drum....nor should you! :happy11:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
retrosonic said:

What is a rim shot roll??

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
curotto said:

Those type of drums are, in my opinion, strictly museum pieces, forget about the collar hooks, if you do back beats that top mechanism would crap out real quick.

Mike Curotto
For the player drums, I've noticed that I have broken clips many of times while tuning up a drum with straight band hoops, but I use/play a 4x14 with single flange brass hoops. On the single flange, the bottom of the hook pushes down on the flange, whereas on straight band hoop all the tension of the hook rests on the top of the hoop, thus the stress and breaking in the usual place on the hook. (I have given up on them, now will use for display only). Replacement hooks are low cost enough to utilize for player drums, even come in nickel finish now.

drumtek

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful and very cool drum Mark. Thanks for sharing.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes!! JDZ's "2025" comment is well-taken. The design is so thoughtful, so many good features put together in one place, that I think such a drum is for all seasons and eras. No, they're not made for savage rocking out, but I must respectfully disagree with Mr. Curotto, who I greatly admire as a collector, restorer, and professional drummer, that these old drums don't sound good. I know you won't get a modern "crack" out of them, that clean DW snare sound, but the colors and tones from these drums can be a thing of wonder, for a large range of music.

More great work from Mark Cooper.

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a cool drum. I too would love to know what it sounds like. I imagine it being very sensitive. You've got the coolest stuff Mark...awesome!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich K. said:
What is a rim shot roll??
>>>Rich, In Surf Music, a Rim Shot Roll is doing a roll on the snare and hitting the head and the rim at the same time: Listen to the first few seconds of "Lullaby Of The Leaves"

&list=RD3QaLVFLBkvc#t=7

Last edited by a moderator: