1939 Radio King Butt Plate Question

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Those pics look like the strainer side bridge, not the butt end. What does your strainer side bridge look like?
Is your shell drilled for 6 holes to support the bridge or four? You seem to be missing two screws in any case.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
On the great link to Mark Cooper's site (a member here BTW), you can see it could be the butt side, but there is a knob above to which it looks like the strings attach, and I don't see that on yours.....

RK.jpg

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those pics look like the strainer side bridge, not the butt end. What does your strainer side bridge look like?
Is your shell drilled for 6 holes to support the bridge or four? You seem to be missing two screws in any case.
^^^^
This is the correct answer.

This is what the butt side is supposed to look like. This is a non adjustable version but the rest is the same.

rk butt plate.jpg

Here are some adjustable versions from the cooper web site.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
On the great link to Mark Cooper's site (a member here BTW), you can see it could be the butt side, but there is a knob above to which it looks like the strings attach, and I don't see that on yours.....

View attachment 453864
That is a Broadcaster which was only made for about a year. I don't think that using part of a tube lug for the string anchor was used very long.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm still confused. The OP's butt plate brackets don't have holes in each of the sides to screw in butt plate bars. So how is it supposed to work?

If those were brackets for a Broadcaster, there would be 2 anchor holes to attach the bracket to the drum shell....not 3 holes per side. So everything does suggest late 30's.

My Broadcaster does have the bracket w/o any holes drilled for butt plate....utilizing the eye let piece attached to the shell. Those were probably only used for at most a few months as most Broadcasters don't have those. The majority of BC's use the same brackets and butt plates as the early RK's.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm still confused. The OP's butt plate brackets don't have holes in each of the sides to screw in butt plate bars. So how is it supposed to work?

If those were brackets for a Broadcaster, there would be 2 anchor holes to attach the bracket to the drum shell....not 3 holes per side. So everything does suggest late 30's.

My Broadcaster does have the bracket w/o any holes drilled for butt plate....utilizing the eye let piece attached to the shell. Those were probably only used for at most a few months as most Broadcasters don't have those. The majority of BC's use the same brackets and butt plates as the early RK's.
I think someone tried to replace the missing butt plate bridge with a strainer side bridge with will not have the holes on the side for the snare strap clamp.

I would like to see a picture of either the butt plate off the shell or from the inside to confirm whether there are three holes per side or only two for mounting the bridges. If there are only two holes per side in the shell that would be curious but they would be spaced too far apart to be a Broadcaster or early Radio King.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The two screw per side narrow ears on the bridges were the earliest version. The earliest did not have the string clamping mechanism on the butt side so they used one end of a tube lug mounted above the butt side bridge to tie the strings to. This was obviously a terrible idea and didn't last long. I have no idea how long but the scarcity of them is an indication that it was short lived. They then added the string clamp to the butt side but they still retained the narrow two screw ears for some time. I would guess a year or two although I have not researched catalogs and other information but these are not uncommon at all. That design was then replaced with the wide three screw per side ears.

jmetatual

Reaction score
I think mine is 1940/41, with original tin straps....
'40-'41 makes sense for levelpeeble's RK. Slingerland historian Dr. Carl Wenk states '40 for first year of tin snare straps and '41 the last year for adjustable bridges.

jmetatual

Reaction score
10 Lug's RK with 4-hole bridges and vertical knurled tone control knob would likely be '37-'38 per Slingerland historian Dr. Wenk. Note 6-hole bridges appear '37-'38 indicating the exact transition date is unknown or both 4-hole and 6-hole were in use for '37 and '38.

Last edited:

jmetatual

Reaction score
+1 with kdgrissom and thin shell regarding the OP's drum. Hey OP, more pictures needed.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Besides Dr Wenk there are other Slingerland historians. You have Mark Cooper, Brooks Tiegler, and others who are not always in full agreement. Cooper has written some detailed references/books on Slingerland drums. He puts the 3 pt bracket change at 1938, and metal straps at 1940, and the thumb wheel adjusters used from 1937-1941. All of those guys have done a lot of research. I read them all and see what makes the most sense. As we go further down the road, previous beliefs, findings, and opinions get adjusted. So the newer references tend to be the more accurate ones. So OP's drum could be as early as 1938.

http://www.coopersvintagedrums.com/slingerlandstrainers.htm

Last edited:

jmetatual

Reaction score
The info you have presented by Mark Cooper is in agreement with Dr. Wenk's info.

Latest posts