1940s Gretsch Tom

qcaudio

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Admitted guitar player here, trying to get my feet wet with drums and restoring them. Here is my first project. I found a "1940s Gretsch Kit) on craigslist for $300. Kick, snare, and rack tom. I already got the snare up and running and now i want to work on the tom. I would like to try to keep it as original as possible so if that means waiting weeks or months, i think it would be worth it.

IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG

The tom is a 13x9. It only had the top head, but a full set of lugs. The questions I have are:

1. Where do I find a matching bottom rim? I pictured the only one i have here and there are these clips that hold it on. I have a full set of the clips, i just need a matching rim.

IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG

2. Where do i find matching tension rods/washers? Like I said I want to keep it as correct as possible but im not sure "gretsch" tension rods were different than any others from the time.

3. Are the felts on the mufflers something that usually gets replaced when restoring a drum? These seem ok but this is my first restoration so im just curious.

IMG_0852.JPG

Thanks in advance everyone!

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
1) I have one of those hoops to spare, PM me if interested.
2) You can use standard rods, modern if you like. Period-correct Gretsch rods would be nice, but they aren't substantially or functionally different than regular tension rods.
3) No, your felts are good.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
please post pictures of the ENTIRE set so we can advise you. Thanks.

qcaudio

Reaction score
Here is the rest of the kit I got in the deal. Like I said, the snare is in another post already and sounds amazing. Here is the kick and a floor tom I cant identify. I think its a WFL from googling pictures, but i really dont know. Again, you guys are amazing, thank you for all the help!

Kick:
IMG_0919.JPG
IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0921.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Floor Tom:
IMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice drums. That floor tom is not WFL. It is very cool though! Love the lugs and muffling system on it.

Enjoy them!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Floor tom looks like '30s WFL. Pretty rare to see WFL'DWFL's version of Imperial lugs on their toms.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
With a really good cleaning and polishing of both the wrap and the hardware, that set is going to look nice. But you need to really clean that wrap deeply before you polish with Novus. Looks like there is ton of grime on the bass drum wrap.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
retrosonic said:
With a really good cleaning and polishing of both the wrap and the hardware, that set is going to look nice. But you need to really clean that wrap deeply before you polish with Novus. Looks like there is ton of grime on the bass drum wrap.
It will be so satisfying. Great score!!

qcaudio

Reaction score
retrosonic said:
I guarantee this forum is LOADED with help on this topic, but what do you recommend to really get the smoke out? These were pulled from a place that had at least a pack a day smoked right next to them, in a room with a fireplace, covered in cobwebs.

Also, how do i clean in inside of the shells? Im telling you they smell like cigarettes really bad and are just covered in dust & sut.

Thank you!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a bunch of those thing you put in the clothes dryer and let them sit for a few days.
I had a guitar amp that smelled of smoke and that was suggested and it worked great.