1947 Ludwig and Ludwig 14 x 6.5 snare

Black Label

Reaction score
Hi there - I recently purchased this '47 L&L snare which is generally still in good condition considering its age. There is a small tear in the wrap, a bit of seam lift, missing snare wires, one non-original tension rod and a missing knob on the tone control, but there are no structural issues with the drum at all. My question is where would I be able to find spares for this snare - I specifically need one tension rod and a tone control "knob thingy" that you turn to lift the pad - the mechanism is there, it is just the turny bit that I need (sorry I'm not too well versed in vintage Ludwig speak:)) Thanks guys and have a great day.

Warm regards
Erik

Attachments

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
What length tension rod are they, ? I may have one, I'll check on the tone control knob as well. they are awesome sounding snare drums.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those rods are out there. They made a lot of 1946-1948 Ludwig Standard 14x7 snare drums. The muffler parts should be available too. There are lots of knobs with correct threads/size you can find that will work for now. It's a big knob though. Looks like you had a second muffler on your drum which seems odd for a snare drum reso head. My 1946 Ludwig Standard only had the one muffler. Sold it last year though.

Attachments

Black Label

Reaction score
Those rods are out there. They made a lot of 1946-1948 Ludwig Standard 14x7 snare drums. The muffler parts should be available too. There are lots of knobs with correct threads/size you can find that will work for now. It's a big knob though. Looks like you had a second muffler on your drum which seems odd for a snare drum reso head. My 1946 Ludwig Standard only had the one muffler. Sold it last year though.
I hope to find a replacement tension rod soon as I am very excited to hear what this drum sounds like. Beautiful drum you had there. Why did you sell?