1950s Gretsch Bass Drum, Red Sparkle , Restored with New Parts

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anyone interested? Its That Great Gretsch Sound, mates!!!!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Price: 475$ + $50 shipping.

For all you fans of The Great Gretsch Sound:
This is a 1950s 20 inch 6 ply Gretsch Round Badge Bass drum in Red Sparkle.
This drum is Ready to Gig TODAY and needs no work. If you want the Great Gretsch sound but not the hassle of old parts breaking, this drum is for you!!

Now, when *I* buy a drum, I want to know Everything about it, so I have listed everything I can think of for your interest:

This drum was restored and rebuilt by myself, as many of the metal parts were simply shot.
The shell is all original with NO extra holes.
The Red Sparkle wrap is in really good shape ....but I do see some dings here and there. You will see a "notch" cut out on the very end to make the heads go on easier. Another notch was cut out on the other side, but a small patch was glued on to it. These of course dont really show with a head on. Is the wrap original. I definitely think so, but I simply cant be sure.

All chrome Shines Bright and Dazzling!!!

Badge: The drum came to me without a badge, but I had one in my Gretsch parts box and installed it. The badge is in its original hole, and has not been moved. Any outlines you may see are some light scratches that the camera flash is magnifying.

The hoops are modern metal replacements, with new Red Sparkle inlays. I attached the inlays to the hoops with double sided high bond tape, to make it easy to replace if desired.

The Spurs and Spur mounts are modern replacements from Steve Maxwell.
The Pratt Muffler is a Modern replacement from Steve Maxwell.
The Tom Tom Consolette mount is a modern replacement from Steve Maxwell .
The lugs are a mix of originals and modern replacements from Steve Maxwell.
The T rods and claws are a mixture of originals and replacements from Steve Maxwell.

Heads:
As with almost all 1950s Gretsch shells, modern heads are somewhat tight and hard to get on. You should plan on using the modern oversize heads with this or any 1950s Gretsch drum. Please be aware that the batter side seems to be slightly out of the round as I describe below.

I have taken measurements (and pictures) of across both the reso side and batter side of the shell. The Reso side seems perfect at 20 inches. On the Reso side, the white Aquarian head goes on easily and spins easily. On the batter side, it appears that the shell is just very slightly oblong at one spot. The white Aquarian head goes on easily,but does not spin quite as easily. I dont think there will be any issue tuning if your head goes on easily.

The drum will come with the one white Aquarian head which can be used as a Batter or a Reso head, your choice.

Shipping is only $50. USA Buyers ONLY. USA Shipping ONLY, no exceptions, sorry.

There are NO Returns on this drum, so please ask any questions beforehand and I'll be glad to answer them.

Read less
This item is sold As-Described

Attachments

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got your message. The pictures answered all my questions. Thank you.

Latest posts