1950's Premier Gold Sparkle

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
Somebody did a darn good job on that rewrap. It's hard to tell from the photos if there is any damage to the shell or the grommet that would indicate removal by someone who didn't know what they were doing. I would tend to agree with the Capt. that it could be an Eddie Ryan job. It's possible that he somehow had access to the grommets that Premier used for their badges and was able to replace them as part of the job. In any event, that set is definitely a keeper.

BTW, speaking of body parts, there are one or two I'd consider giving for that set with the blue pearl wrap. I don't even care that they have pointy lugs. After Aquamarine and the crosshatch WMP, those blue and burgundy pearls are my all time favorite finishes.

jim

baz1949

Reaction score
Somebody did a darn good job on that rewrap. It's hard to tell from the photos if there is any damage to the shell or the grommet that would indicate removal by someone who didn't know what they were doing. I would tend to agree with the Capt. that it could be an Eddie Ryan job. It's possible that he somehow had access to the grommets that Premier used for their badges and was able to replace them as part of the job. In any event, that set is definitely a keeper.

BTW, speaking of body parts, there are one or two I'd consider giving for that set with the blue pearl wrap. I don't even care that they have pointy lugs. After Aquamarine and the crosshatch WMP, those blue and burgundy pearls are my all time favorite finishes.

jim
I was going to post it but it is really beat up....lots of extra holes in the Kick drum ....I think it might originally have been drilled for one tom......a handle on the Floor Tom...three extra drill holes in one of the toms......and the fittings don't seem to match....like I told The Capt....I am mainly a Ludwig collector....It needs serious TLC.....I will post it ...if you want ....but it is a bit embarrassing

baz1949

Reaction score
Hello CJ and Jim.......No you won't get rid of me that easy....I have been surfing e-bay ...for you two....Looking for Vintage Premier Kits.....also I may have the chance of a early 70's I think ...."George Hayman" Gold Sparkle Kit.......and I have spotted these on e-bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280806841627.....job lot of Various Vintage Shells and Hardware.......Jim I am definitely not Bazarre from Ireland....I am Baz (Barry).....a Mancunian....born and bred

Capt Wierd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually the Baz, he and I mention is Barry Ireland aka Bazarre and he's from the UK as well. He's on the Mike Dolbear forum.

Baz, I don't do much of the newer stuff, mainly, cause I have most of it, I do late 20s, thru the 30s and then late 40s. I also collect the consoles from those periods. To this point I have 5 consoles and one on the horizon.

baz1949

Reaction score
Actually the Baz, he and I mention is Barry Ireland aka Bazarre and he's from the UK as well. He's on the Mike Dolbear forum.

Baz, I don't do much of the newer stuff, mainly, cause I have most of it, I do late 20s, thru the 30s and then late 40s. I also collect the consoles from those periods. To this point I have 5 consoles and one on the horizon.
Wow that is vintage.....Is it mainly Premier and Carlton you collect ?......where on earth do you source your gear....There can't be that much Premier and Carlton in the States ....or even in Canada.....and do you go out and gig these kits or are you just a restorer....I say "just a restorer" but you know what I mean....Baz

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My early 60s WMP Premiers have the overlapping wrap and they're definately not a rewrap. Also Baz's tom mount is an Olympic, slightly different to the Premier.

ian-40

Reaction score
The snare drum is most likely Brass. had a couple of those myself. lovely!

Capt Wierd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, Most of my stuff comes out of the UK, and you can look at it two ways, either I'm plundering the British countryside or its British Compensation for burning the White House in 1815 or its just in my Norman roots for pillaging

I'm the model for the credit card ad

I've great friends and relatives in the UK, always on the look for olde stuff

Nope don't gig the stuff, just preserve it, so of like a museum, I have more than enough space to do that