1959 WFL 3-piece Club Date Trans Badge Kit

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
now youre talking. those are really looking great. if that hardware doesnt get there soon its gonna drive you crazy,i imagine. cant wait to see the finished project! great work john.

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Hey Mike, it's already making me crazy! Hope the parts show up today. If I have to be snowed-in, I'd rather be working on this kit.

Snaffoo- It may seem fast to you brother-man, but my sore hands tell a different story! Lots and lots of sanding and painting. Oh and did I mention there was a lot of sanding/smoothing involved? lol

Thanks for compliments.... the rest soon - I hope! I'm dying to play these. The toms sound killer.

John

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lookin' great! Sorry I'm late to the party. I just read the whole thread, and wanted to add my comment about ply layup. I have a '58 trans badge kit, wrapped in original WMP, and the mahogany ply is on the inside, just like yours. All four drums.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looking good John! Nice choice on the green gold. That little floor tom is really cool. That kits got a lot of mojo in it. Sizes, finish and ultra cool badges.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Archt: My wife was just saying the same thing about them. These little tubs just drip Mojo.

The bass drum is flying together. I'm in the middle of refinishing the hoops. I'll have photos posted of the completed kit tomorrow sometime.

Can't wait to sit down behind the kit and just play them.

John

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
PS, I agree with all that's been said---this is gonna be an awesome set of drums! Ever since I saw Chas' transbadge Pioneer in green & gold, I've dreamt about having a set like yours. I know your philosophy about passing on drumkits, but this one's gonna be a hard one to let go. You'll have to play this one for a while.....marko

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
any word from bill on the hardware? better get them single tension parts to shining baby!! :blackeye:

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Hardware for the bass drum arrived today. Thanks Bill!

It's going to take a bit more time than I expected though because now I have to clean and polish; 16 T-rods, 8 lugs, & 16 claws. The hardware that Bill sent is in very good condition and it's going to polish up nicely. Honest, I'm not saying this because it's my kit, but this drum set is one of the coolest little kits I've ever seen. It has this 'Old-school' mojo and look to it that just knocks me out. Man, it looks like a piece of art to me. The design and the sizes of these drums is superlative. I've put a lot of work into restoring this kit. Selling them is not in the cards. Some of you guys know I've been hot for a green drum kit for awhile. Well, this is it! My green ship came in and it's the Queen Mary!

I am very happy with this drum set and I'm kinda proud about how great it came out. I LOVE restoring old drum kits. Very few things I find as gratifying.

Pix when she's all done. Soon...

John

plexi69

Reaction score
brythm,
Would post a pic of your Trans badge set? Thank you.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. All you need is a turntable going at 33 1/3 rpm and a steady hand. LOL

No joke though, it really works well for a duco finish.

Bass drum on the way...

John

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Ok Ladies and Germs....

It is with great pride and the excitement of a kid at X-mas showing off his best present, that I present to you my latest rehab. I made a couple of 'place holder' transition badges for the bass drum and for the floor tom until I can acquire/track down two real trans badges. My fakes are a little smaller than the real thing and they look really good on there, though it's easy to tell by their size that they are not the real thing.

Here it is boys and goils, the genius of the Ludwig Drum Co. + the fruits of my labor.

1959 Ludwig Club Date. Transition period kit. 9" x 13", 12" x 15", 12" x 20"

Thank you Pan for helping me score the kit. Thank you Marko for being a creative whiz-kid and suggesting the lazy-susan set-up for the paint job. Brilliant and it works!

And thank you all for your comments and for following along with great encouragement and support. I love DFO because of all you drum-crazy lunatics.

Enjoy. All comments/critiques are welcome.

John

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
I gotta say...those are as pretty a drumset as we've ever seen here. They really came out nice. That was a huge effort, in no time at all, & really looks worth it. Those drums were destined for the junkpile; they just looked too far gone. There are only a few people alive that would have attempted this & pulled it off. You're the real deal when it comes to this stuff. :notworthy: ....marko

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Marko - thanks, the compliment means a lot to me coming from someone whose restoration work I admire. Now you gotta make one for yourself! You have the shells and the bicycle wheel... hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

Harris - It's not an inlay! I just masked out the band and painted it using the same gold paint I used for the stripes. It did come out looking very cool. I agonized over what to use on the bass drum hoops. I was considering Gold glass glitter at one point. But the use of the same color that is on the drums just compliments the kit in a really pleasing to the eye kinda way.

They go downstairs for a test drive tomorrow. Tuning them up was a genuine treat. They sound amazing. Fat, very warm, good volume and projection. There is nothing 'muddy' sounding about these 3-ply shells whose interiors have been treated with multiple coats of tung oil. The drums kill. I can't wait to set them up and lay into them.

John

Latest posts