1960’s Radioking kit yay or nay?

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been burnt badly in the past on gear and before I risk doing the same thing again I am reaching out to the drum gods of this forum.

So!
Long story short.
1960’s Radioking kit WMP. Seller claims no extra holes or mods. He claims no re-ring splits and that the edges are in great shape.
It’s a good price and I’ve wanted a Radioking kit for a while.

Well the hoop looks replaced since I can’t see a groove for the inlay. Other than that.. it seems legit?
These are the only photos I got. We reached $900. Is it a steal or am I missing something?
Thank you!!

Attachments

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a "Radio King" or even "Krupa 1N" kit for one....at least not with that clip-on hoop snare drum with 2 point mount (not clamshell or 3 point).
Floor tom legs are probably wrong. The Gibraltar wing bolt(s) on floor tom leg mount(s) and fat rubber feet is a possible yellow flag that more is wrong on this kit.
Doesn't look to me like the mounted tom batter hoop is the correct stick saver type. But it could just be the fuzzy photo when I enlarge things.
No re-ring splits/gaps and other edge issues? That's a STRONG statement. And bordering on "impossible" on drums of this vintage for a well used kit. Did the guy even look closely? Imo you're dealing with a seller who's not detail oriented.
If you want a "set up" for being burned again.....this one has potential. Did you (or can you) go to see it? If not, what's the cost to ship? Is hardware and/or cymbals included?

The photos are not very good to see the real details. If the shells and wrap are clean it could be a decent deal at $900. But there are far better deals out there as well if you're patient and look closely.
Is it a steal? Not really. It's worth in the $800-$1100 range depending on all the "details." And more than likely, there is stuff lurking the owner is not telling you or is oblivious to. Without more
photographic proof or seeing it in person, I'd not buy that for $900 based on those 3 photos. Figure on at least $150 to correct what is wrong...if not more. If the one BD hoop is a repro - that alone will run you $50-$85.
This kit probably has date codes on the interior of the drums. What are they? Do the badges and/or serial numbers all match? Do the interior ply styles all match? A put together kit or all born together?

Sellers that cannot find "any flaws" or "issues" on their own kits are generally not to be believed. One of my pet peeves. And taking 3 lousy photos doesn't help it any.

Last edited:

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What Tama said.
Insist on lots more pics especially shell interior (maple or mahogany?) and all bearing edges. Who knows if these got dragged around with naked bottoms for the entire 1970s.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sizes of drums? Can't tell from the photos. What badge is on the bass drum? Black & Brass? Serial number? Looks like no badges on toms. Snare with clips isn't a no-no, just not solid shell Radio King, so maybe a Hollywood Ace or Student RK.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been burnt badly in the past on gear and before I risk doing the same thing again I am reaching out to the drum gods of this forum.

So!
Long story short.
1960’s Radioking kit WMP. Seller claims no extra holes or mods. He claims no re-ring splits and that the edges are in great shape.
It’s a good price and I’ve wanted a Radioking kit for a while.

Well the hoop looks replaced since I can’t see a groove for the inlay. Other than that.. it seems legit?
These are the only photos I got. We reached $900. Is it a steal or am I missing something?
Thank you!!
I'd stay away from that kit unless you're gonna gig and use it as a beater kit. I stay the hell out of vintage kits. I'm the furthest thing from a collector. I buy what fills the bill. In 26 years I've owned only three new kits. My very first kit was a new Radio-King set back in May 1963. I was eight years old. They're dated April 1963 on the inside. In 1980 it was no longer playable as every drum gained considerable delamination of the inner plies. Split rings too. They've always lived in Southern Arizona. I had a 1967 Buddy Rich kit in Virginia and it too delaminated five years after I sold it to my neighbor in 1984. Gotta understand that adhesive-technology then ain't what it is today. Anyhow, I won't buy vintage kits, ever. Never know what environment it was kept be it Arizona or Florida. Been drumming for over five decades and have owned kits then that are considered vintage today. Over 30 kits of 13 builders in over 50 years. That says a lot. I own kits that I bought new then that are considered vintage today. Nah, I stay the hell away from the old stuff. I've had them, the newer gear's much better. Modern drums have such a wide tuning range these days it makes no sense to me buying 'vintage' kits. I bought Imperialstars new back in the early 80's, Dumped my DW's for new Rock Tour Customs in the early 90's, Dumped my Sonors for used Recording Customs in 1991 and about a decade ago bought my retirement and forever kit, a used Maple Custom Absolute kit. Funny, they're considered vintage today. Old crap, nah. I can get any sound I want with the newer gear I currently own. Funny how Yamaha was the last brand I looked into ever buying and is exactly what I retired to.

Attachments

Last edited:

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Sizes of drums? Can't tell from the photos. What badge is on the bass drum? Black & Brass? Serial number? Looks like no badges on toms. Snare with clips isn't a no-no, just not solid shell Radio King, so maybe a Hollywood Ace or Student RK.
13,16,20. Black and brass. Doesn't come with snare.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
The snare isn't included.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
It's not a "Radio King" or even "Krupa 1N" kit for one....at least not with that clip-on hoop snare drum with 2 point mount (not clamshell or 3 point).
Floor tom legs are probably wrong. The Gibraltar wing bolt(s) on floor tom leg mount(s) and fat rubber feet is a possible yellow flag that more is wrong on this kit.
Doesn't look to me like the mounted tom batter hoop is the correct stick saver type. But it could just be the fuzzy photo when I enlarge things.
No re-ring splits/gaps and other edge issues? That's a STRONG statement. And bordering on "impossible" on drums of this vintage for a well used kit. Did the guy even look closely? Imo you're dealing with a seller who's not detail oriented.
If you want a "set up" for being burned again.....this one has potential. Did you (or can you) go to see it? If not, what's the cost to ship? Is hardware and/or cymbals included?

The photos are not very good to see the real details. If the shells and wrap are clean it could be a decent deal at $900. But there are far better deals out there as well if you're patient and look closely.
Is it a steal? Not really. It's worth in the $800-$1100 range depending on all the "details." And more than likely, there is stuff lurking the owner is not telling you or is oblivious to. Without more
photographic proof or seeing it in person, I'd not buy that for $900 based on those 3 photos. Figure on at least $150 to correct what is wrong...if not more. If the one BD hoop is a repro - that alone will run you $50-$85.
This kit probably has date codes on the interior of the drums. What are they? Do the badges and/or serial numbers all match? Do the interior ply styles all match? A put together kit or all born together?

Sellers that cannot find "any flaws" or "issues" on their own kits are generally not to be believed. One of my pet peeves. And taking 3 lousy photos doesn't help it any.
I will consider everything you said. I will most likely pass on the kit. I was wanting a gigger vintage kit but I do agree, there is a lot to fix and time wasted gluing and fixing edges. If I do re-sell I doubt I'd get $900 for it.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
I'd stay away from that kit unless you're gonna gig and use it as a beater kit. I stay the hell out of vintage kits. I'm the furthest thing from a collector. I buy what fills the bill. In 26 years I've owned only three new kits. My very first kit was a new Radio-King set back in May 1963. I was eight years old. They're dated April 1963 on the inside. In 1980 it was no longer playable as every drum gained considerable delamination of the inner plies. Split rings too. They've always lived in Southern Arizona. I had a 1967 Buddy Rich kit in Virginia and it too delaminated five years after I sold it to my neighbor in 1984. Gotta understand that adhesive-technology then ain't what it is today. Anyhow, I won't buy vintage kits, ever. Never know what environment it was kept be it Arizona or Florida. Been drumming for over five decades and have owned kits then that are considered vintage today. Over 30 kits of 13 builders in over 50 years. That says a lot. I own kits that I bought new then that are considered vintage today. Nah, I stay the hell away from the old stuff. I've had them, the newer gear's much better. Modern drums have such a wide tuning range these days it makes no sense to me buying 'vintage' kits. I bought Imperialstars new back in the early 80's, Dumped my DW's for new Rock Tour Customs in the early 90's, Dumped my Sonors for used Recording Customs in 1991 and about a decade ago bought my retirement and forever kit, a used Maple Custom Absolute kit. Funny, they're considered vintage today. Old crap, nah. I can get any sound I want with the newer gear I currently own. Funny how Yamaha was the last brand I looked into ever buying and is exactly what I retired to.
I was thinking of using it for that. But if it's chopped now it's just a matter of time before I'm spending more on fixing it.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of using it for that. But if it's chopped now it's just a matter of time before I'm spending more on fixing it.
That's just it. Down the road problems are always there. I know of drummers that have gone that route and not a single would do so again. They brag about their 'vintage kit' but will never admit to having a dog they can't play and can't ever sell. Just like the dumb-ass I know who bought a Fairlight Synth on the cheap and now it will cost him 10 grand to get it marginally running. The world is full of them. My two Radio-King floor toms are my sister's night stands! The bass is her ottoman! Vintage? Hell, no in my book. I've owned them all at one time or another in 56 years of drumming. Ayotte to Yamaha. New drum-build technology is the way to go! Anything else is just "I gotta have it" syndrome.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's just it. Down the road problems are always there. I know of drummers that have gone that route and not a single would do so again. They brag about their 'vintage kit' but will never admit to having a dog they can't play and can't ever sell. Just like the dumb-ass I know who bought a Fairlight Synth on the cheap and now it will cost him 10 grand to get it marginally running. The world is full of them. My two Radio-King floor toms are my sister's night stands! The bass is her ottoman! Vintage? Hell, no in my book. I've owned them all at one time or another in 56 years of drumming. Ayotte to Yamaha. New drum-build technology is the way to go! Anything else is just "I gotta have it" syndrome.
Sounds like you clearly don't like the older stuff. Hmm.... All the old stuff I have is going strong at 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 years old. Different strokes, I guess.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh stop already , 1st of all you didn’t buy a new Radio King kit in 63 …
There are lots of very nice vintage kits to be had …

New isn’t always better …

I have vintage drums and would do so again , there’s your one guy who would .

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but that floor tom doesn't seem t be the same color.
I thought the same thing...the floor tom is whiter than the kick drum and rack tom which are more faded .

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No snare drum and it's $900? No thanks. I sold my silver sparkle '62 mahogany kit (12, 14, 22, snare) about 18 months ago for $875 . And it came with the Hollywood Ace snare drum. Originally a factory 12,22,snare kit. The only
real problem was that the floor tom was a 1966 "clear maple" add on....but it was a nicely matched 14x14 in good shape and worth $400 on its own. The snare was worth $275-$300. Came with original calf skin heads. Pretty decent player quality kit that sounded good.
You can do a LOT better for $900 than this 3 piece WMP. A friend of mine just bought a '58 Slingerland Krupa 1N / RK kit with all the orig hardware and 50's Zildjians. The 4 drums factored by themselves will have cost him $700-$750 or so. A solid deal imo for a nice 1 owner kit.

best 1.jpg

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had several 50's to 70's Slinglerand kits the past few years. Delamination was really not much of an issue on them. In the few spots where there were gaps on floor toms and bass drums....injected some glue....clamp.....and done.
Re-rings are quite often loose or gapped in spots. It's pretty common here. Those are also easy to re-glue and set back in place. A quick look inside a drum (through the vent hole if needed) can give you an idea if the kit saw moisture/humidity or excessive dryness
during its life. A clean interior stands out....no cracks or bubbles under the plys. And if the bottom hoops are still with the kit, more than likely they stayed on the drums most of their life. Do be leery of toms and bass drums missing bottom hoops. Ideally, look for one owner or one family kits where you can get a good history on the kit and how it was kept.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
No snare drum and it's $900? No thanks. I sold my silver sparkle '62 mahogany kit about 18 months ago for $875 (paid around $500 for the shell pack). And it came with the Hollywood Ace snare drum. The only
real problem was that the floor tom was a 1966 add on....but it was a nice 14x14 in good shape and worth $400 on its own. The snare was worth $275-$350. Came with original calf skin heads. Pretty decent player quality kit that sounded good.
You can do a LOT better for $900 than a 3 piece WMP.

View attachment 515019
Oh man , that’s a nice kit ……

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
No snare drum and it's $900? No thanks. I sold my silver sparkle '62 mahogany kit (12, 14, 22, snare) about 18 months ago for $875 (paid around $500 for the shell pack). And it came with the Hollywood Ace snare drum. The only
real problem was that the floor tom was a 1966 "clear maple" add on....but it was a nicely matched 14x14 in good shape and worth $400 on its own. The snare was worth $275-$350. Came with original calf skin heads. Pretty decent player quality kit that sounded good.
You can do a LOT better for $900 than this 3 piece WMP. A friend of mine just bought a '58 Slingerland Krupa 1N / RK kit with all the orig hardware and 50's Zildjians. The 4 drums factored by themselves will have cost him $700-$750 or so. A solid deal imo for a nice 1 owner kit.

View attachment 515019
I would have paid $900 for that.
If anyone knows of anyone selling a RK kit I’m in the market.
Also I would like to thank you all for your help.
I sold my Tama Starclassic Birch to fund a decent players kit, I’ve learned to pace myself though.