header.nohb.html

1960s 20in A. Zildjian Ping Ride - how light do these get?

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 20inch 1960s A. Zildjian Ping Ride weighing 2148g. I've never seen one that light. Is this about as light as they get or are there thinner cousins out there? And since I won't get to work it out for a couple days, what will the reduced weight do to the sound generally?

Photo or two after cleaning.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Does the cymbal still have a model ink stamp? Maybe they went by sound rather than by weight.

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
just took this pic

better ones to come after I clean some tape residue off

edit - I should also add that I didn't know how heavy it was when I bought it. He said medium weight and that IS about medium weight for a regular 20in 60s ride. I just figured it was something like 2600 grams.

Attachments

• Ping.jpg
    Ping.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 179

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
About a medium thin weight. And labeled PING? Very different. I don't think I've seen a 20" PING under 2700-2800 gm.

Is the wash controlled better on this one? I would expect considerable wash at 2150 gm.

Last edited:

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
About a medium thin weight. And labeled PING? Very different. I don't think I've seen a 20" under 2700-2800 gm.

Is the wash controlled better on this one? I would expect considerable wash at 2150 gm.

IKR? I'm not sure of it's live playing characteristics given our volume limitations here (dampeners on home kit). I'm planning on running it through it's paces on Saturday.

Just playing it lightly, I'd say you were right, a lot more wash than you'd expect from a Ping Ride, though less than my old 1960s 20 (which was just a nice solid basic 2100g ride and not a ping).

Just tapping it out I'd say it was halfway between a normal ride and typical ping ride in both wash and stick def.

It sounds good so I'm not complaining, its just different than I was expecting.

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
Interesting. Does the cymbal still have a model ink stamp? Maybe they went by sound rather than by weight.

Three more pics. And the bell is a bit large at 5.5 inches. (there's gotta be something similar out there somewhere)

Attachments

• Ping-1.jpg
    Ping-1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Ping-2.jpg
    Ping-2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Ping-3.jpg
    Ping-3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 64

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some unusual underside lathing and/or patina changes close to the bell. Not used to seeing that on a 60's Z.

Last edited:

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
Some unusual lathing and/or patina changes close to the bell. Not used to seeing that on a 60's Z.

I've seen a few like that (assuming you mean the underneath). As for the patina, I broke my own cardinal rule and cleaned this cymbal up more than I usually do because it has the remnants of ancient tape as you can tell by the pics.

I only cleaned it that much because it's probably hitting the road as a gift for a friend.

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
It weighs 2147 now that I’ve cleaned the tape off.

As for the decade, it’s generally called a 60s stamp, but who knows.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A misprint more than likely. Generally Ping is a heavier weight....with a pronounced stick hardly any wash, smaller bell comes to mind....more like a flat

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
A misprint more than likely. Generally Ping is a heavier weight....with a pronounced stick hardly any wash, smaller bell comes to mind....more like a flat

Stranger things have happened. I’ll play around with it tomorrow and maybe throw up a brief vid.

One I will mention after going over it with a fine tooth comb is that the edge tapers down but not as much as I’m used to with rides. Don’t know if that lends itself to being a ping or not. Stay tuned.

Best case scenario for me is that it’s more ping/less wash than my other rides, but not too much of either.