1960's Ludwig 24 inch bass drum Set: The elusive bass drum size - does anyone here own a set with one?

abryantp

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1960's Ludwig set with a 24 inch bass drum. I am curious as to if anyone has owned one or has any pictures of their set with one. I have only come across one online in the past 15 years.

Definitely a rare bird. Would love to see some pictures if anyone actually owns one or saved some pictures of one!

abryantp

Reaction score
I owned a 24" citrus mod w/keystone badge, curved spurs(!) and a center post. Sold it a decade ago.
Bun- wowza, what a rare bird. Did you get the chance to take any photos of the set? Have you owned any other sets with a 24 inch kick from the 60's?

abryantp

Reaction score
I've only seen one single mount 24 inch to date and it was a tri band set silver, black, silver. 3 piece set for sale down in LA if I remember correctly.

I almost feel like they are more elusive than the 18 inch jazzette

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I've only seen one single mount 24 inch to date and it was a tri band set silver, black, silver. 3 piece set for sale down in LA if I remember correctly.

I think they are more elusive for sure. They are quite rare but I have seen a few 24's over the years. Only in pics though as I have never seen one in person. I wonder if Buddy had stuck with Ludwig in the 60's what his set would have been like. I'm guessing 26,13,16,16 with rail, cymbal mount off the bass drum, canister and super classic snare drum in beautiful Ludwig WMP. I can picture it now.... Sorry Rogers guys.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was a teenager (mid 70s), I owned a vintage Gretsch Progressive Jazz Set (20/12/14) in Gold Sparkle. Of course in 1975 and wanting to GO BIG I purchased a full complement of Ludwig Concert toms to match. Now that 20" BD looked like donut compared to the concert toms so off I wen to my local Sam Ash Music Store (Long Island, NY) and low and behold they had a Keystone 24" Gold Sparkle Ludwig BD for sale on the "USED" shelf. They were asking $100 but would take $80. I didn't have the $80 so I offered my Gretsch BD in trade. They were only offering me $20 for it. I refused and never bought that cannon of a drum. BIG mistake.

Attachments

abryantp

Reaction score
When I was a teenager (mid 70s), I owned a vintage Gretsch Progressive Jazz Set (20/12/14) in Gold Sparkle. Of course in 1975 and wanting to GO BIG I purchased a full complement of Ludwig Concert toms to match. Now that 20" BD looked like donut compared to the concert toms so off I wen to my local Sam Ash Music Store (Long Island, NY) and low and behold they had a Keystone 24" Gold Sparkle Ludwig BD for sale on the "USED" shelf. They were asking $100 but would take $80. I didn't have the $80 so I offered my Gretsch BD in trade. They were only offering me $20 for it. I refused and never bought that cannon of a drum. BIG mistake.
Love this story and what a great photo. Heck of a setup you had.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score

That tri-band is still sitting in Bellflower Music Center. ;-)

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know of a guy on another forum with this drum. When the day comes to sell, I'm first in line... well, I at least asked that I be...

24 Champagne KB.jpg

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did Buddy Rich ever use a 24 inch Ludwig? I know he had a 24 Slingy at one point, I've seen pix of it.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Did Buddy Rich ever use a 24 inch Ludwig? I know he had a 24 Slingy at one point, I've seen pix of it.
In the 1980 Ludwig catalog the Buddy Rich set is shown offering a 24" bass drum. I think he used a 26" though in reality.