1960s Sonor Drums... How cool are they?

JFBL

Reaction score
Ever sell a kit and regret it?

I sold this set a few years ago but saw them pop up for sale locally a couple of months ago... Snagged them again! Early 60s Sonor in Black Galaxy Sparkle, my favourite Sonor wrap from the 60s. They are ridiculously great sounding drums.

Lo and behold, the matching snare with the offset Teardrop lugs went up on the Bay a few weeks later and there was no turning back

I also picked up the repro bass drum mounted cymbal stand from Schneider Drum Repairs in Germany.

I'd like to get some leftover wrap to make some inlay for the drummer side hoop, I already swapped out those clear heads with some coated Ambassadors and need a couple of other little things but think that's it. Time to play them.

High res photos here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...pWektudVlxVWh3

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ever sell a kit and regret it?

I sold this set a few years ago but saw them pop up for sale locally a couple of months ago... Snagged them again! Early 60s Sonor in Black Galaxy Sparkle, my favourite Sonor wrap from the 60s. They are ridiculously great sounding drums.

Lo and behold, the matching snare with the offset Teardrop lugs went up on the Bay a few weeks later and there was no turning back

I also picked up the repro bass drum mounted cymbal stand from Schneider Drum Repairs in Germany.

I'd like to get some leftover wrap to make some drum inlay for the drummer side hoop, I already swapped out those clear heads with some coated Ambassadors and need a couple of other little things but think that's it. Time to play them.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...pWektudVlxVWh3
Sweet! My first pro level kit is currently for sale on Facebook marketplace by the guy I sold it to a long time ago.
Wish I could afford it!
Glad you got yours back!

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since "the best" is only our own opinion of whatever we're discussing, its my opinion the 60,s Sonor drums are best suited for my taste. Nothing wrong with anything else, but these shells speak my language.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am working on this gold multi-brilliant set. Just got the bass hoop yesterday and am still cleaning the matching snare.

Update - It is almost complete. I just need resonant side hoop and rods for the floor tom.

Attachments

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drum solo starts at 15:55

I saw him play these drums and cymbals with this band.
Whewwww...amazing playing of course but those drums were out of this world

JFBL

Reaction score
That clip Tom! Out of this world. :) Nice to see all these Sonor kits and great to hear that version of St. Thomas. These drums are so special. I completely agree, "just as nice as vintage Gretsch, but different."

Last edited:

Drm1979

Reaction score
Ok so I thought that all these kits were beautiful but I'm very partial to red drum sets for some reason. So the red ones get my vote.

ThomasL

Reaction score
Back in 2009 I compared my 20/13/16 6-ply Teardrops with the RB Gretsch kit I had recently bought. I had audio only, but added some pics for youtube:

I ended up selling the Sonors. The 6-lug BD could not compete with the RB BD...

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got a 3 ply bass drum in that very Emerald Multi Brilliant. Didn't make too many of those with the center mount, but funny enough mine is as well. I prefer it to the side mount
image.jpg