header.nohb.html

1962 Ludwig Acrolite

bob2jacky

Reaction score
G’day, I’m new here!

I felt compelled to join the forum to post a picture of my new snare here. When I first got it, I didn’t think it was anything special, but upon readin more about it, it would seem it’s a bit of a rarity.
Best I can tell is that it’s a 62. Imperial lugs, small round muffler, aluminum bottom AND top hoops etc.

I feel pretty lucky to have got this thing, especially considering it’s condition. So far I’ve tucked away the unbent aluminum hoops in case I eventually sell it.

Anyways, I figured I’d post about it for those keeping tabs on these and get the opportunity to learn more, if anyone does have any info.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 3898218A-B7DC-4580-B2E3-883A0E333194.jpeg
    3898218A-B7DC-4580-B2E3-883A0E333194.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 83

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are you sure the hoops aren't brass rather than aluminum? If Ludwig did use aluminum hoops on that early model, that's pretty cool. You don't see these very often.
Older style imperial lugs too. What does it have for heads and snare wires? Metal tabbed or flexible plastic tabbed snare wires?

Last edited:

bob2jacky

Reaction score
Are you sure the hoops aren't brass rather than aluminum? If Ludwig did use aluminum hoops on that early model, that's pretty cool.
Older style imperial lugs too. What does it have for heads and snare wires? Metal tabbed or flexible plastic tabbed snare wires?
Definitely aluminum. I have a JF and a Super from the same era with brass hoops and these are like a quarter of the weight! Haha.
Heads are new, I just replaced some old ambassadors that were bad.
The snare wires are the original all metal wires, identical to my 62 Super.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I thought they didn’t come along until around 1966. Wouldn’t early 60s have a baseball bat muffler?

Edit- Research shows they came along in ‘62.

Last edited:

bob2jacky

Reaction score
Wow Very Purdy! Didn't know they made them in '62 always thought proto's were '63 hmm
Thanks! Well according to my reading on the Vintage Drum Forum, the baseball bat Bowie’s we’re 63, but a handful of these were in 62’. Also, I think the 63’s had a COS or COB batter hoop, and aluminum snare side. This one has both aluminum hoops.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right from the horse's mouth Ludwig website. What do they know!

Acrolite​

Originally introduced in 1963 as a student drum, the Ludwig Acrolite quickly became the choice of pro players in need of dry, cracking snare tone.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

bob2jacky

Reaction score
But I did run across this!
I don't see any actual dates on the literature to confirm but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the publisher
I’ve come across a few different things. I’ll try and find the thread, but one member suggested the imperial lug, small round muffler was an actual prototype, not just the first gens, which likely came around 62’… possibly while waiting for the first batch of bowties designed specifically for the acrolite.
I do remember them saying something to effect of “Unless you were there, we really have no idea what was happening then”.

bob2jacky

Reaction score
I’ve come across a few different things. I’ll try and find the thread, but one member suggested the imperial lug, small round muffler was an actual prototype, not just the first gens, which likely came around 62’… possibly while waiting for the first batch of bowties designed specifically for the acrolite.
I do remember them saying something to effect of “Unless you were there, we really have no idea what was happening then”.
This was one of such discussions.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about that thread I was there! Yeah I have to agree with the pre bat muffler , golden finish flat badge and the Imperials its the early one , 62 would be about right according to the literature. Even the guys that were there don't remember!

bob2jacky

Reaction score
I forgot about that thread I was there! Yeah I have to agree with the pre bat muffler , golden finish flat badge and the Imperials its the early one , 62 would be about right according to the literature. Even the guys that were there don't remember!
Haha oh wow, that’s funny. I’ve learned everything about this drum from this conversation and I think one other and various little bits on the internet. There isn’t much there.
I’ve never thought about the badge but you’re right. This one is also MUCH brighter than my super, which is probably a 63, also in great condition.
All this is to say- you think we have a case to call up Ludwig and amend their statement about when that acrolite was introduced? lol.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I think their partially right , it didn't officially appear in the catalogue until '63 as per Mike, may he drum and sing in peace, too bad he's not around he lv'd threads like this. Sounds like it was experimental/ prototype they were introducing and finally got all the ducks in a row and ready for the masses by '63

"It's not in the '62 catalog. It's in a Ludwig Drummer issue. It has bowties. It's also in the 63 Supplement with bowties.

Mike"

bob2jacky

Reaction score
Well I think their partially right , it didn't officially appear in the catalogue until '63 as per Mike, may he drum and sing in peace, too bad he's not around he lv'd threads like this. Sounds like it was experimental/ prototype they were introducing and finally got all the ducks in a row and ready for the masses by '63

"It's not in the '62 catalog. It's in a Ludwig Drummer issue. It has bowties. It's also in the 63 Supplement with bowties.

Mike"
I heard of his passing. I actually read so many threads in the past as a lurker, and it’s really sad he’s passed. May he sing and drum in peace!
It’s cool to know a bit more about this unique drum. Thanks for your help!

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Mike"
Hear hear...
Here is a great DFO thread on the Ludwig prototype first generation Acrolite snare.... even has comment from Mike L. in the post...

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
G’day, I’m new here!

I felt compelled to join the forum to post a picture of my new snare here. When I first got it, I didn’t think it was anything special, but upon readin more about it, it would seem it’s a bit of a rarity.
Best I can tell is that it’s a 62. Imperial lugs, small round muffler, aluminum bottom AND top hoops etc.

I feel pretty lucky to have got this thing, especially considering it’s condition. So far I’ve tucked away the unbent aluminum hoops in case I eventually sell it.

Anyways, I figured I’d post about it for those keeping tabs on these and get the opportunity to learn more, if anyone does have any info.

Cheers!
Here is a link to the '63 Ludwig catalog with a section on the new Acrolite