header.nohb.html

1962 Slingerland 12, 14, 20 Champagne Sparkle

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here we have a beautifully preserved 3 piece Slingerland drum set.

20220906_130532.jpg

Champagne Sparkle wrap with some yellowing, but it's all completely even and all of the drums match perfectly. I had a very hard time finding any scratches and there is no damage to the wrap or lifting/speration of the seems.
All three drums are 3 ply, Mahogany/Poplar/Mahogany. Black and Gold Niles badges with 1962 Date Stamps. They all have original calf batter heads that are all in prefect shape with ink still in tact. They look new!
New and old heads float freely on all drums and tune up perfectly. Edges are clean, smooth and flat.
In this era of Slingerland, toms were not usually fitted with badges so only the bass drum has one. The 14" floor tom also has no date stamp, which was also common.

20220906_135635.jpg

The bass drum is fitted with a really cool muffler that looks and works really great!

20220903_162242.jpg

20220906_135643.jpg

There are two imperfections on these.
The first is a little paint flaking on the bass drum hoops. Easy fix.
The second is a bit of a blow through of the inner ply that happened during assembly at the factory, but was quickly fixed. Doesn't affect the sound, but I wanted to disclose every issue that I could find.
20220905_150132.jpg

These drums are a born-together set and I believe left the factory as such. They are of the exact same construction and have aged in exactly the same way.
The push-button floor tom brackets are in fantastic shape and work perfectly.
I removed the heads and rims and thoroughly inspected every aspect of each drum. They are 100% original and beautiful.
My guess is that the original owner bought them in the 60's and left them set up or in storage for their entire lives. There are almost no signs of use or the tell-tale clues of drums being set-up and broken down. 20" and 14" drums from this production period are somewhat rare. I would imagine you would have to wait a long time to find an example like this, in any condition, again.

20220905_151626.jpg
20220905_162218.jpg
20220905_162328.jpg
20220905_162445.jpg
20220906_130519.jpg

I'm asking $1800 plus shipping.
I'm willing to drive a couple hundred miles in any direction from southern Michigan, if you'd rather meet me halfway and avoid shipping costs.
If you do want them shipped, know that I will pack these things incredibly well and they will arrive to you as they are now.

If you would like the 5x14 (pre Barrett Deems model) brass snare drum that came with them (matching badge) I will cut a deal on that drum as part of this package.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
These drums were discussed in this thread:

Some more pics!

20220906_131216.jpg

20220914_164733.jpg
20220906_142602.jpg
20220915_172547.jpg

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I hadn't just bought a Rodgers champagne sparkle kit we would be talking. Great presentation and description, good luck.

DavidThornton

Reaction score
Here we have a beautifully preserved 3 piece Slingerland drum set.

View attachment 583941

Champagne Sparkle wrap with some yellowing, but it's all completely even and all of the drums match perfectly. I had a very hard time finding any scratches and there is no damage to the wrap or lifting/speration of the seems.
All three drums are 3 ply, Mahogany/Poplar/Mahogany. Black and Gold Niles badges with 1962 Date Stamps. They all have original calf batter heads that are all in prefect shape with ink still in tact. They look new!
New and old heads float freely on all drums and tune up perfectly. Edges are clean, smooth and flat.
In this era of Slingerland, toms were not usually fitted with badges so only the bass drum has one. The 14" floor tom also has no date stamp, which was also common.

View attachment 583944

The bass drum is fitted with a really cool muffler that looks and works really great!

View attachment 583947
View attachment 583945

There are two imperfections on these.
The first is a little paint flaking on the bass drum hoops. Easy fix.
The second is a bit of a blow through of the inner ply that happened during assembly at the factory, but was quickly fixed. Doesn't affect the sound, but I wanted to disclose every issue that I could find.
View attachment 583946

These drums are a born-together set and I believe left the factory as such. They are of the exact same construction and have aged in exactly the same way.
The push-button floor tom brackets are in fantastic shape and work perfectly.
I removed the heads and rims and thoroughly inspected every aspect of each drum. They are 100% original and beautiful.
My guess is that the original owner bought them in the 60's and left them set up or in storage for their entire lives. There are almost no signs of use or the tell-tale clues of drums being set-up and broken down. 20" and 14" drums from this production period are somewhat rare. I would imagine you would have to wait a long time to find an example like this, in any condition, again.

View attachment 583948 View attachment 583949 View attachment 583950 View attachment 583951 View attachment 583952

I'm asking $1800 plus shipping.
I'm willing to drive a couple hundred miles in any direction from southern Michigan, if you'd rather meet me halfway and avoid shipping costs.
If you do want them shipped, know that I will pack these things incredibly well and they will arrive to you as they are now.

If you would like the 5x14 (pre Barrett Deems model) brass snare drum that came with them (matching badge) I will cut a deal on that drum as part of this package.
Still available? I'm in Chicago. email = [email protected]
David

dave.robertson

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the most desirable Slingerland sets I've ever seen, and it's from my favorite Slingerland era (sweet African Mahogany and Poplar shells with Sound King hardware.) Great sizes. I hope this set goes to someone who will appreciate it. It's a real beauty!