1963 Gretsch Snare on it's way to Precision Drum Co.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried everything over the past 5 years to do what I could to make this 1963 5x14" 4103 Snare drum sound decent. I changed wires, snare side heads, tuning- hair dryer over those DEEP snare beds to get the mylar film down, More tension at the beds, less tension at the beds- anything to not make it sound like a cardboard box. All edges present are nice and smooth and even with heads removed....... All I ever wanted was to make the snare gigable. It is now on it's way to Precision for Edges, Snare beds and wrap. Working with George at Precision. ....Please chime in with your similar experience....Thanks.

IMG_3297.jpg
IMG_3296.jpg
IMG_3295.jpg

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just sent a couple of Ludwig 3-ply shells to Gary at Precision, received back a week ago. The factory edges on the pre-serial shell were complete garbage. Large waves, small waves, rocked on the granite counter. He did a fantastic job on both drums, they tune up like a charm now.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had them build me a few custom snare drums about 12-14 years ago. I am seriously considering sending my new 18x15 Yamaha Stage Custom Birch bass drum to them to have it cut down to 18x12. That extra inch is driving me crazy, and I personally love 12" deep bass drums (16, 18 and 20 diameter), so it will be worth it to me. I trust totally trust Precision.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had them do edgework but certainly they are fantastic with the re wraps.

As for that snare, I have one 4103 + three 4157's and four 4105's. All are the same shell, I believe, and all sound great. I don't know why people keep complaining about the boxy sound. I have coated ambassadors on the majority of them with clear snare sides. Diecast Hoops tame that drum which is why you really need 42 snares for the ideal sound, although I have some with 12 and 20 strands that are just fine. It's not as wide open tuning as a Jazz Fest or a Slingy artist, but when you dial it in, it is the epitome of classic jazz snare sound, especially the eight Luggers. A nice focused pop across the head. No dead zones and no ringing.......

I'm sure your drum will come back even better. I certainly am interested in what they do to the snare beds. I trust they will keep the same Edge though, just recut them? Please post before and after photos....

T-2

Reaction score
I've brought lots of my vintage drums up there for new edges. George did a fantastic job, gave me a great tour of the shop too. I highly recommend Precision Drum!