1964 LM400 loses tension

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Playing my 1964 Supra (brass hoops) the last days I recognized it`s losing tension very fast. I`m not a hard hitter but after 30min practising I`ve to turn most screws at least one eighth up to a quarter to get where I started.

Just normal..? I don`t have that on other drums.

Last edited:

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes thats normal. The ‘65 LM400 i had did that.

The hoops were lighter.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
lug inserts worn?.
replace em all or /and the rods rod.

3) buy/tradein for/ a same year USA Gretsch : D

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1964 LM 400 also. My strainer loosens over four hours or so of playing. The tension rods loosen more gradually.

I suppose I could spend some thought, time, and energy to fix these things, but I let them be, chalking it up to this being an old drum, with some idiosyncrasies that I have grown familiar with, and can be remedied with some minor adjustments.

If this were my only drum and particularly my only gigging drum, these would be bigger issues.

Since I have other modern drums that can handle the heavy hitting better, and don’t have such sentimental value, I take those when I really need to honk hard and don’t want to fiddle with these things on the bandstand.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I waxed on about my drum and didn’t offer any help whatsoever for yours. Speaking of wax, I recall hearing about one fellow who put beeswax on the threads of his tension rods to supposedly stop them from loosening. I’ve never tried it myself.

Leather washers?

Last edited:

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My '64 will detune (several tension rods near where I stick) during a 20 song set. I ended up using TightScrews tension rods and haven't had that problem since.