1965 Slingerland Artist snare - single ply or not (pics)

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have another thread going about a 1965 complete Champagne sparkle Slingerland kit I may sell.

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/93232-1965-slingerland-champagne-sparkle-kit-whardware-advice/

A forum member mentioned checking if the Artist snare is single-ply or 3-ply. I looked and it sure looks single-ply to me but hard to tell with the re-rings. There definitely is a single ply all the way around. Then there is a small single band that the rering is attached too. Adding some pictures for help from the slingerland guys.

Attachments

• IMG_4668.jpg
    IMG_4668.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4664.jpg
    IMG_4664.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 9

empire drum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It has 3 plys. The reinforcing ring is single ply. From outside in it goes dark (mahogany), medium (poplar), light (maple) with probable maple rerings, unless it came from Shelbyville (red badge), then the rerings would be oak.

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Definitely seems to be a lot of controversy over this all over the internet. That post by zenstat (with colored arrows) explains it so well. Definitely the poplar middle ply is thick, and to my eye that looked to be a single ply. But thanks to the info now I see the very thin outer mahogany ply.

Thanks again. This forum is a great source for info as always !!!