1965 Slingerland Champagne Sparkle kit w/hardware advice

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of selling this 1965 Slingerland kit. I am the 2nd owner. Bought it off a gentleman several years ago who said his dad took him into a music store in Pittsburgh in the 60's and bought the complete kit. It's a 22" 13" 16" in champagne sparkle with matching 5.5 x 14 Artist snare. The BD has both original heads, as well as original heads on resonant side of the other drums. I put brand new remo white coated ambassadors on the other drums. I also have the original hardware (cymbal arm, BD pedal, high-hat stand, snare stand, and white throne). I am keeping the cymbals. I have these stored in cases in a climate controlled room. Going off of memory I believe all drums are dated June 1965, niles badges, with toms having the slingerland chocolate milk interior.

There are a couple issues. There is a split in the wrap on the bass drum. You can see in the picture it's by the lug near the spur and goes from lug to hoop, and also extends a little from the back of the lug. Something sat on the white throne for years and left a crease in the seat, but it's not ripped at all. This may have come out by now, not sure. I will have to check. Also when I got them all the hardware was pretty rough. I worked extremely hard to polish using various methods and most came out really good, however some of the worse hardware still has some pitting if you look really close but everything shines pretty nice.

I'm wondering if I should split the kit (due to bass drum issues) and try to sell individually? It would be really nice to sell as complete set especially since it includes the original hardware. I would appreciate any help on putting a value on what I should ask for this kit with hardware.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Slingerland019.jpg
    Slingerland019.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 69
  • Slingerland020.jpg
    Slingerland020.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Slingerland011.jpg
    Slingerland011.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Slingerland012.jpg
    Slingerland012.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Slingerland010.jpg
    Slingerland010.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Slingerland002.jpg
    Slingerland002.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 92

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as Slingerlands go, champagne sparkle usually brings a premium. I don't think the split is that bad. Maybe selling the snare separately will get you a little more (maybe not), but I think you should keep the other three together.

Reaction score
I think they look great, unless someone is on top of the kit they'll never see the wrap split on the bass drum. I think it's interesting how well the Champagne wrap holds up. I have an early 60's round badge Gretsch kit in Champagne sparkle, the finish is flawless, I suspect it's how the drums have been treated during their life but Champagne sparkle is pretty durable.

ObiWan

Hillbilly Drummist
Reaction score
I'm with Rich on keeping it a set, or at the most sell the snare separate. That split is just a little mojo, and being dated so close to my DOB, if I had the jack right now I'd give you a shout. That's a beauty!

bharrington

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful kit - I'm sure it would sell but you may regret it! My '62 modern jazz Slingerland is gone forever...

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bharrington said:
Beautiful kit - I'm sure it would sell but you may regret it! My '62 modern jazz Slingerland is gone forever...
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure. Right now it's not in use. Actually hasn't been by me in a couple years and with a Son in college for music I could use some dough, but also struggling with weather to sell or notl. If I do pull the trigger I hope I don't have seller's remorse, but on the same hand these shouldn't sit unused in cases.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's a beautiful drum set in the most popular sizes for that vintage. If I could have only one drum set in those dimensions, it would be a mid 20th century Slingerland or SlingerLeedy set. I have that same set from 1966 in Slingerland's unique version of Red Glass Glitter. Then, I have another set in those same sizes in Champagne Sparkle. Those drums are SlingerLeedys from 1963 minus the snare drum. I use a 1959 Shelly Manne SlingerLeedy snare in Pink Glass Glitter with that set. The crack in the wrap will cost you $100-$200 in selling price depending on how discriminating the potential buyer is.

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$1200 for everything. Too much. Too little?

It's not often you can get a complete kit including original hardware, but I sorta think that's high. For some reason Slings don't seem to sell for as much as Ludwig, Rogers, or Gretsch.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable to me. Artist snare. I love that finish, to a buyer who feels the same way, that crack wouldn't be much of an issue. It's there, but not a big deal. Plus you have the throne too? Wow. Again that price seems very reasonable, although Slingys have not traditionally sold for as much as Ludwigs, I'm thinking if anything that's a great price, maybe even a tad low. Others should chime in here, though. The hardware? Well it at least comes with the original hardware.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
ya, that's no reason to split it up, you'd be screwing yourself on the hassle and possibility of not selling everything for a while. Unfortunatly, Slingerlands don't get the love or price they deserve. I wouldnt let it go for less than $1000, but with the snare really should be sellable for a lot more.

Drum Play

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
don't split, keep them together as one happy kit.... it will make someone very happy to own..she is very pretty.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Realistically, I thnk that you should ask $1299 for the set with the snare drum with up to $100 freight included. Without the snare, $999 with up to $100 freight included. I would not offer the freight deal until someone asked about making a deal for the drums including shipping. The selling prices for local pickup should be what I suggested with that same $100 flexibility on your part.

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Just have some decisions to make. I picked this kit up to flip. That was 3 years ago! My problem is I find 'em, buy 'em, clean 'em up, play 'em, and then can't let go of 'em. I posted several of my vintage kits in the members gallery yesterday:

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/gallery/album/757-vintage-kits/

That's not all, but some I will never get rid of like the Rogers Red Onyx kit. Gotta start considering thinning the heard though and since this was the one I was supposed to flip I was thinking I would start with it.

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous drums. I actually like the crack ... LOL! No one will wonder if it's a re-wrap. :thumbleft: It would tear me up to have to sell a kit like this. But, I understand it's what you do ... and that you have other life responsibilities, etc.

If the Artist is a single-ply drum, then (and only then) would I split it off from the rest of the kit and sell it separately. Half of your value could be in that single drum alone. But, if all the drums are '65, I doubt it is. In that case, keep these together ... they deserve it.

On pricing ... IDK. You can still (almost) buy mid- to late-'50s Radio Kings (with SD) in the price range that's being suggested here. Maybe not with hardware, but still. Right around the 4-figure mark seems right to me for a sale in a reasonable length of time. You could sit with these for a long while if you start flirting with the $1.5K mark.

tstinson

Reaction score
+1 on keeping them together. As an old Slingy owner, I feel your burn that these won't fetch top money. But those boys deserve to stick together.

Let's see. Mid-60s music store in the 'burgh.

Volkwein's?

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stonsin said:
+1 on keeping them together. As an old Slingy owner, I feel your burn that these won't fetch top money. But those boys deserve to stick together.

Let's see. Mid-60s music store in the 'burgh.

Volkwein's?
Yup. Said his Dad took him to Volkwein's and bought the complete outfit.