1966 Acrolite Stored Unplayed In A Closet For 46 Years

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just picked up this Acrolite and had to show it off a bit. She deserves it as she had been in her "coffin" and hadn't seen the light of day for 46 years!

I bought this from the original owner, a very nice guy by the way.

His mother had bought the Acrolite kit for him in the fall of 66 for school when he was in 5th grade. He stopped playing in the school band in 8th grade and then it went into the closet. He is a little older now and decided if he hadn't used it in the last 46 years, it was time to let her go.

The snare has a 6 digit serial number starting in 489 which should put it in 1966 I think. It has a white BB muffler. There is not a spec rust or corrosion anywhere on the drum hardware or stand! Just old fingerprints or the slightest nick or surface scratch if you are looking hard for it. It is all original and just in remarkable condition.

With the snare came a Ludwig coffin case, Ludwig stand (the rubber is nice and shiny and pliable), Ludwig key with the little paper bag it came in, a lesson book, a fall 1966 Ludwig Drummer magazine, a vacuum practice pad still in the cardboard, and a pair of Ludwig 2A sticks. Unfortunately, the sticks are broken as he said he and his buddies were being kids at school and they broke.

I didn't clean anything of the kit, just set it up to take a few pics to show you guys. Will have to polish her up when I get the time.

Oh yeah, and the gentleman remember it all costing his mom 105 bucks.

Attachments

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Dang, the pictures are a little blurry. need to clean off phone lens I guess. will post better pics after cleaning her up.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Love these stories!
Congrats
Me too. Half of the fun of finding these one owner gems is hearing the history. Makes me appreciate owning it even more.

What I really like about the "student" snares kits such as the Acrolites and Pioneers and such is you can imagine the excitement a young kid had going to the local music store to buy the kit with their parents or grandparents and how proud they probably were carrying that case to school with their pride and joy in it.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I go back to the very early days of Ebay mid late 90’s when all of a sudden people realized they could get easy money and started cleaning out the house of all the stuff they had collected from a lifetime of their kids. The thing is back then nobody knew what they had , it was a great time to be a vintage drum hoarder!

It wasn’t until the Forums and google became established and provided the internet/ everyone with a wealth of info at their fingertips that people smartened up. Google smart.

In the early days you would have to get on the phone and call Pro Percussion, Ned Ingraham , Jacks or any of the other established drum guys to get appraisal or info on your gear.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Yeah. I would have loved to have paid less but I got it for what I thought was a fair price of 275 bucks. He wasn't moving on his price and who knows if/when I would have found another complete kit in my area at anywhere near the condition. And anyway, I wanted it and plan on keeping it so I wasn't thinking about a profit with flipping.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's a beauty!
That's amazing that his mom spent $105 for that back in 1966. See the picture I posted:
Screenshot 2019-06-09 at 11.52.01 PM.png

This makes today's new Acrolites seem like a bargain at $430, LOL!!

Last edited:

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
Wes, awesome find! Everyone should have a 60's Acro, imo. Mine has become my go-to snare. I prefer it over my 77 Acro...just has something extra sweet about it. Cheers!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah. I would have loved to have paid less but I got it for what I thought was a fair price of 275 bucks. He wasn't moving on his price and who knows if/when I would have found another complete kit in my area at anywhere near the condition. And anyway, I wanted it and plan on keeping it so I wasn't thinking about a profit with flipping.
Sounds fair for such a nice instrument. I personally don't see anything wrong with that price. I would have gladly paid that as well. I think you did great especially since your going to keep it.
Shine it up and enjoy it!:)

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I go back to the very early days of Ebay mid late 90’s when all of a sudden people realized they could get easy money and started cleaning out the house of all the stuff they had collected from a lifetime of their kids. The thing is back then nobody knew what they had , it was a great time to be a vintage drum hoarder!

It wasn’t until the Forums and google became established and provided the internet/ everyone with a wealth of info at their fingertips that people smartened up. Google smart.

In the early days you would have to get on the phone and call Pro Percussion, Ned Ingraham , Jacks or any of the other established drum guys to get appraisal or info on your gear.
I know exactly what you mean. I remember in the 80's going to flea markets in different little towns with my dad. It was all about the hunt and having that satisfaction that you found something really valuable for practically nothing. I remember him and I walking out with a box full of cool stuff which he had spent $10 tops. We would go home and go through the box to see the "treasures" we had found, LOL! It was fun! Those days are long gone, It stinks! Their really isn't much anymore that is "rare". Now it's all right there on a screen for you to see all of the ones that are in existence. Back then you had to really search for stuff.

Last edited: