1966 Acrolite Stored Unplayed In A Closet For 46 Years

Gunnellett

Reaction score
That's a beauty!
That's amazing that his mom spent $105 for that back in 1966. See the picture I posted:
View attachment 399748
This makes today's new Acrolites seem like a bargain at $430, LOL!!
I used the same thought process towards saying the 275 bucks was a bargain!

The crazy thing is the guy said at the same time his mother bought a trumpet and a trombone for his brother and sister. I can't imagine what that bill was, and in today's dollars! He said they were not poor but definitely not rich. Most folks wouldn't be able to swing it.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wonderful drum. Here's a recent one on Ebay that was very original and brought $271 + shipping in spirited bidding. And it's clearly not as mint original as yours. Yours is an A+....that one is a B+ or A- and with no case, stand, pad, brochures....and no "story." You can't duplicate that stuff. You did well. Congrats.

An Ebay acro

bp350

Reaction score
I recently scored a mint 1968 Acrolite with the case, stand, sticks, practice pad, Ludwig brochures in the Ludwig folder and a couple drumming books on Ebay for $152 plus shipping. It even had a few drum exams from the original owner in one of the books! The drum just needed a little cleaning and I swapped out the original heads. The drum doesn't have a mark on it or one speck of rust, looks like a brand new 1968 Acrolite! Everything included was also in near new condition. The seller was an antique dealer and just listed it as a 1969 chrome Ludwig drum. Their was only 8 bids on it and I thought that it would get bid way up but it didn't. Every now and then you can still find a decent deal on Ebay.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a treasure. I,d take the original heads off and put them away forever. New fresh Ambs will be just fine.

bp350

Reaction score
The heads looked perfect! Why not use them? They're the best heads you could put on the Acro ~
The heads were the one thing on the drum that weren't perfect. They had some wear and the bottom head had a small rip. Still could have used them but I had new Ludwig heads top and bottom and thought I'd make it new again. Saving the original heads though.

Hobbs

Reaction score
The heads were the one thing on the drum that weren't perfect. They had some wear and the bottom head had a small rip. Still could have used them but I had new Ludwig heads top and bottom and thought I'd make it new again. Saving the original heads though.
Sometimes I wonder if some chuck them if slightly worn. The early 60's Ludwig heads are particularly nice if you find drums with them. They're heavier and thicker ~ but I have no data on this.

Congrats on your snare. Enjoy it!

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Wonderful drum. Here's a recent one on Ebay that was very original and brought $271 + shipping in spirited bidding. And it's clearly not as mint original as yours. Yours is an A+....that one is a B+ or A- and with no case, stand, pad, brochures....and no "story." You can't duplicate that stuff. You did well. Congrats.

An Ebay acro
Thanks. I knew if I passed it up I would be kicking myself down the road.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently scored a mint 1968 Acrolite with the case, stand, sticks, practice pad, Ludwig brochures in the Ludwig folder and a couple drumming books on Ebay for $152 plus shipping. It even had a few drum exams from the original owner in one of the books! The drum just needed a little cleaning and I swapped out the original heads. The drum doesn't have a mark on it or one speck of rust, looks like a brand new 1968 Acrolite! Everything included was also in near new condition. The seller was an antique dealer and just listed it as a 1969 chrome Ludwig drum. Their was only 8 bids on it and I thought that it would get bid way up but it didn't. Every now and then you can still find a decent deal on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1969-LUDWIG-8-Lug-Chrome-Snare-Drum-5-x-14-Hard-Case-Stand-Sticks-/202694289585?hash=item2f318568b1:g:xdAAAOSwqGBc8IcJ&nma=true&si=WYLB0ap4bY44aq1G%2FZCmvclFwJM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Seller's description of the snare was a bit on the negative. Even with that it still sold for decent money. How they clean up is always a guess. And the top head looks pretty nice. A little Dawn moistened with water via a greenie pad and most of the yellow and black staining will come off - leaving the coating intact. I like using the original heads on the 60's and 70's Ludwig snares.

Last edited:

bp350

Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1969-LUDWIG-8-Lug-Chrome-Snare-Drum-5-x-14-Hard-Case-Stand-Sticks-/202694289585?hash=item2f318568b1:g:xdAAAOSwqGBc8IcJ&nma=true&si=WYLB0ap4bY44aq1G%2FZCmvclFwJM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Seller's description of the snare was a bit on the negative. Even with that it still sold for decent money. How they clean up is always a guess. And the top head looks pretty nice. A little Dawn moistened with water via a greenie pad and most of the yellow and black staining will come off - leaving the coating intact. I like using the original heads on the 60's and 70's Ludwig snares.
Yeah, the description said minor scrapes and scuffs but there isn't a mark on the drum once I cleaned it. The top head did clean up pretty well but I put a new Ludwig coated on top and I had a near mint Ludwig snare side head already. Here's a few pictures of it now.

Attachments

Latest posts