1966 Emenee Big Bash Snare Drum

texasshawn16

Reaction score
Along my journey I recently came across a 1966 Emenee Big Bash Snare Drum. From my research they were offered in the JC Penny catalog. It still has the orginal box and paperwork. Although it's missing the stand, 1 lug on the bottom, and bottom plastic hoop is cracked. But all things considered it being 54 years old and a plastic toy meant to be beat on by children how awesome is it to even survive!!!! There was 2 pairs of unmarked sticks as well. I believe the 5a sized pair came with it and then there is also a set of 2s. In the box was also a vintage practice pad. I seen that Ludwig and slingerland both made practice pads just like this is the 60s this one does not have any manufacturing marking on it. I seen literly just 1 other came up for sale years ago on eBay I couldn't find any other to get a comparable value on it. I know what I paid and am happy with that. It will be just cool to display in my music room right along the plastic dukes of hazard guitar from the 80s that I also have.
20200706_171819.jpg
20200706_171831.jpg
20200706_171840.jpg
20200706_171843.jpg

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is cool. I remember Emenee selling a full line of toy instruments in the mid sixties.

I had three vintage Noble & Cooley toy drums on the book shelf in my office before I retired. I have them packed away somewhere. One has airplanes on it, another has Disney characters, and the third one has flags and stars on it.

The airplane one looks like this.

1594099027929.png

texasshawn16

Reaction score
That is cool. I remember Emenee selling a full line of toy instruments in the mid sixties.

I had three vintage Noble & Cooley toy drums on the book shelf in my office before I retired. I have them packed away somewhere. One has airplanes on it, another has Disney characters, and the third one has flags and stars on it.

The airplane one looks like this.

View attachment 449764
That is cool!!!!
20200707_075747.jpg
During my research I seen that Emenee also offered a full drum kit. One of the booklets that came with this is advertising an attachment for this snare drum that has a 9 inch cymbal, Tom drum, & cow bell on it. I would love to find it but probably impossible. My dukes of hazard guitar is made by Emenee as well. I found a box of old pictures one day and in it was a picture from the early 80s of myself as a kid playing the guitar. Fast forward a few months later to Christmas morning my wife was able to find the same exact one and bought it for me.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not to be nit picking, but it's a 64 year old snare drum, not a 54 year old one. That makes it even cooler and the flaws more forgivable. :)

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was a kid starting out on the drums, I would have loved to have owned either one of these drum sets.

image-1_orig.jpg

lf.jpg

Has anyone ever seen one of these drum sets? They would still be cool to own.

texasshawn16

Reaction score
Not to be nit picking, but it's a 64 year old snare drum, not a 54 year old one. That makes it even cooler and the flaws more forgivable. :)
I was born in 1976 and will be 45 this year. The drum was made 9 years before I was born in 1966. By your math I'll be turning 55 this Dec...

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had one, and let me tell you the stand was the weakest link in the package, so you're not missing anything by not having that (and how they thought you could hang a cymbal or a cowbell or wood block on that thing is beyond me). It also did not come with a practice pad as I recall, so that was added by the prior owner I'm guessing.
Emenee made decent quality toy instruments (their keyboards were especially pretty good, nice sounding).
I think the Big Bash only came in that one yellow color.

Bob Blackwood

Reaction score
This post brought back strong memories. Got this for Christmas 1966 - my first drum at age 10. Loved it. Broke the top rim within the first two days, but draped a cloth over the top head. Played it until it disintegrated. Then got a MIJ Lyra drum kit next Christmas. Loved it better. For all the racket I made in the basement, my folks must have really loved me.